Is my anxiety making me grind my teeth?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, over the last few weeks I have noticed I seem to be clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth. Is this just my anxiety? Or have I always been doing it and only noticed now? My jaw used to always crack whenever I opened it, and is starting to crack again. Is it TMJ? I haven't been to the doctor about it, also, my mother has the same problem so could it be hereditary?

Thanks, Jack

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Maybe best to go and see a dentist or a maxillary surgeon and get a tmj exam. Before you go ..call and be sure they are tmj knowledgable. Way easier then guessing. Tmj can and does cause many strange and uncomfortable symptoms.
    • Posted

I am planning to go to the dentist for just a check up, and possibly the hygienist also, I will ring ahead before I go, Thanks
  • Posted

Hello Jack,

I have actually just been to see a dentist about this. It sounds like anxiety, but when stressed you tend to grind or clench your teeth in sleep, often you won't notice. I was waking up with horrible tension headaches because of it!.

Whenever I yawn as well, I was getting that cracking and popping noise, It's tension apparently and TMJ although it's nothing to worry about, it's worse when stressed! I have broken a toohth beause of it rolleyes

My dentist has reccomended a night time guard to prevent further damage. It should ease the tension as well and stop the headaches / jaw ache all day!

• Posted

My son had exactly the same thing! The dentist also recommended a night time guard.
    • Posted

I haven't gotten headaches, but I do get a mild ache in my ears every now and again, I'm going to te dentist as soon as I get aan appointment, Thanks for replying

• Posted

Have you ever got dizziness at all?.

The dentist also mentioned it could be wisdom tooth related. I labelled everything with anxiety and refused to take AD's for it, but was glad of a trip to the dentist (avoided them for years!)

• Posted

No I don't have dizziness, only if I stand up too quickly ( however I think everyone has this). The last time I was at the dentist, she said my teeth were perfect ( except for having to get them cleaned by the hygienist.) I had ti get a filling on one of the teeth right beside one of my wisdom teeth also. Other than that, everything was perfect.

• Posted

This is a nevous habbit, and it will make your jaw ache. Once we start a nervous habbit, it's so hard to stop. Try to catch yourself,and stop. Good like!!

• Posted

If you are stressed people can clasp and grinde their teeth, this of course can cause damage to the enamel  o the tooth and somtimes loosen fillings, It also keeps people awake at nights.

Talk to your dentist, there are ways I understand to protect the teeth it is an appliance that fits over the top of the teeth

I do not thing grinding teeth is genetic.

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

grinding the teeth is one of many symptoms to anxiety do it myself when i'm asleep have bitten my lip a couple of times aswell how do I know what I do when i'm asleep I hear you ask lol the wife kindly tells mecheesygrin   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.