is my attack needs doctors attention?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.. Im Hurley 32 from Singapore. i wants to share my experience with you guys. im unsure if i am okay or i need a further examine by the doctor. here is my story.

6 months ago, i had my first panic attack. i alarmed the whole house as i was having difficulties in breathing. i thought i was having a heart attack. but my brother confirmed that im not having it as i dont feel any chest pain or show any symptom of heart attack. eventually after drinking hot water and apply ginger lotion on my chest, i fell asleep. Went to the doctor the next day and doc confirm i was stress after he examine me.

i was not convinced. somehow the short of breath continues for few months till today. it gets worst when i started to google.

below are the list of attack i went thru in order:

1. short of breath

2. chest pain

3. feel like choking

4. body numbness / tingling

5. headache

6. blur vision

7. gastrict

8. burping non stop - the worst!!!!!!

those are the list i went thru and guess what.. the moment i know i can deal with the attack, it will go to the next attack. now im back to no.1 which is the short of breath.

total number of GP i went was 7 times. and all doctors diagnosed the same thing. ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACK. no meds was given as doc dont want me to depend on it too much. doctor also advise me not to go to the A&E as i will waste the doctor's time.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It cerainly sounds like and anxiety attack which is what your doctor has dignosed, and I can therefore understand the comment that you should not waste your time and that of the hospital with further visits.

Unfortunately this does not give you the answers that you need, because you seem genuinely concerned about it.

Have you considered switching to another doctor, and then asking for treatment for anxiety, because at the moment your present doctor whilst thinking it may be a mental health condition does not appear to be offering you any help for it.

• Posted

Hi Archemedes...

unfortunately, all 7 times is different GP. nobody seem to understand my situation. Everyone sound it so easy.. they dont know how i feel.

• Posted

Perhaps when you return to the GP you should bring someone with you to advocate on your behalf, maybe a family member or friend.  Someone who will not take no for an answer and makes sure you walk out of the clinic with a prescription.  When we are suffering from anxiety we tend to let others walk over us and we just meekly accept others judgement, whether professional or not.  I'm not saying that you are, but it is just an idea.
  • Posted

I'm not ashamed to say that I've taken my mum with me to the GP when I've thought the Doctor wasn't listening to what I was trying to say and I'm 37! So don't feel like you have go through it alone.
    • Posted

thanks SkyeBeth. i think that is a good idea. somehow i feel like the doctor dont even want to entertain me. they keep saying its all in the head. the only thing that i take from the clinics is the breathing technique/exercise. sigh.

anyway, how are you feeling now? are you facing the same thing like me?

• Posted

Yeh, I was facing all the same symptoms and put up with it for three years before I finally went to the Doctors to get on antidepressants.  It's only been a month and I'm already feeling much better.  The first couple of weeks on any antidepressants you usually feel very tired, but that usually goes away by the forth week.  I say usually because our body chemistries are all different and you might have to experiment with antidepressants to find the ones that suit you the best.  Best of luck.  Anxiety is terrible thing to have but you are not alone here.  We all understand what you are going through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.