Is my B12 Level too low?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey just got my blood test back recently because I have been really depressed and anxious to the point that I havent left the house because anytime I go in a car to drive I get incredable dizzy feels like im drunk. 

My symptoms are

Intense insomnia

Trouble balancing

Wobbleness (if that makes sense)

On edge, paniky

cold hands and feet

I got my results back and he said everything was normal. I asked about my B12 level specifically. He said its at 396. 

Is that too low? They said in a couple books that I read thats its really low and Japan raised its low limit to 550. They said anything 600 and below is defficent?

Could that be causing my symptoms then my mind has to put up barriers (like staying housebound) Kindof like the physical came first then the mental?

My naturopath is reviwing my results wedsday to hopefully get shots. For now im taking cheap ass cycobalimin 250mcg that my sister left behind at home. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The symptoms you list are just a few in a long list of possibles for b12d. The 396 should be enough for most people. Lots of people are severely deficient and dont have any/few symptoms. B12 supplements seem to go off really quickly so the cyan you are using might not be as effective as it could be.

i would suggest you discuss your symptoms with dr and try to find out if there is another cause. Normally a female thing but thyroid problems can cause the same/similar symptoms.

• Posted

He said thyroid was fine too. Iron good etc

He just said I had anxiety and wants to put me on drugs for it. I just dont think its that in my opinion.

• Posted

You could be low on b9 Which is Folate and b6 . B12 , b9, and b6 need need to be at decent levels for B12 to be metabolized on the methionine pathway. You can check homocysteine and malmalonic acid. If they are high there may be another deficiency.
  • Posted

have they checked your vit d and cortisol level
    • Posted

No, my doctor claimed "I was too young for a defficency" .............

I was beyond p*ssed. I am not allowed to switch doctors anymore since I already done it. Thats why I at least have my ND

• Posted

whats ND? how old are you what test have you had are you in the uk
    • Posted

I am 21 years old. And I live in canada

ND = Naturoapthic Doctor

• Posted

I think you can have low b12 at any age, my son is 22 his level was 209 the range starts at 200 so they wont treat him what tests have you had
    • Posted

Thyroid - Sodium - Iron umm not sure what else. But he said all normal. Im p*ssed cause I know B12 is defficent even when he said "normal"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.