Is my BP minitor having malfunctions?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had this blood pressure machine for about a year and just recently every now and then it's reads a dangerously high diastolic number 120+ I do have health anxiety but even at my most nervous it's never above 90.. and when I calm myself down it's in the 70's .. today I checked it and it said my diastolic was 150 which of course had me in a HUGE panic and so even tho I knew I was completely nervous and all I checked it again within a second and the Diastolic went down to 80's ... so either my machine is broken or something else is really up. And by the time I calmed down my BP was 117/72 ... 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi that sounds quite high. I would take the machine to my chemist or gp and check it against their machine as a comparison.  That would be a start  as the stress of not knowing will increase your BP. Happy new year. Dave.
  • Posted

If you take your BP immediately after the first attempt than the second one will be considerably lower, that is my finding too.

if I feel that my machine is malfunctioning, I will take the reading on the other arm, or wait at least 5 minutes before trying again.

• Posted

No I took it and it was incredibly dangerously high and then I took it again and it was normal
  • Posted

I have an Omron, and sometimes for no reason at all I get wildly inaccurate readings, if in doubt I change the batteries, and try again.

?Mine is 7 years old or nearly, but every year or so I take it to the Dr during my next regular appt, and check it with the Dr's blood pressure machine, amazing I also notice he is using a Omron or the like for his patients, but he also has an expensive hospital grade machine as well, and if he gets crazy readings he will try again with the bigger machine.

?A couple of times I have taken it to the hospital when husbands has been sick to show them his readings, they scoff at my little Omron, but amazingly enough their readings came back the same, I said once in front of medical staff at the hospital thanks for calibrating my Omron, a snarl was the result, although it will not put me off using Omron to assess where my husband is at and if I need to take him to hospital.

• Posted

I also have an omron.. it eases me to know yours gives crazy wild readings sometimes too because mine is just insane. I'm in the ER right now out of fear

• Posted

Perhaps it's the fit of the collar, I usually just slip back into the last fit rather than reset it to arm size, but you might try doing that, undoing the collar fully and setting it back, it easily could be some kind of machine problem.

?Mine is ten years old now, my mother used an old one for longer than that, OTOH I bought her a new one that nobody liked, it squeezed the arm too hard.

?The BP itself can hardly change that much in just a minute or two ... when I get one number that is off, I just log it with a question mark and come back an hour or two later.  As long as their are no other symptoms to go along with the bad number.

?FWIW.

• Posted

Mine went up to 275,/120 in surgery, Doc put me on Flutensip, combination of calcium blocker and one to make me pass urine more, plus an ACE Capitol.I'm at the point of giving up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.