Is my cast damaging my skin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

2 weeks ago, I fractured my tibia and fibula and tore all the ligaments in my ankle/ foot. A week and a half ago I got tight rope surgery in my ankle to fix all the damage done. for about a week i have been in a hard cast and am having some discomfort. my skin under my cast feels very raw/ dry and feels like its getting torn up. my appointment to get my stitches taken out is in 3 days, should i just wait it out or go in asap to get it checked out? TIA!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your accident. Casts are very uncomfortable , and waiting three days for the stitches to be removed is really not a choice. I think your asking if you could remove the cast now? You don't want to undo all the surgeons work or cause new complications it's only 3 days. Once the surgeon sees your ankle then talk to him about your concerns. Usually the skin is deprived of air and starts to itch , the itching can be very intense. Since you had surgery the incision can become sore and feel raw. All very normal considering the cast.

I broke both my ankles and tore the ligaments thanksgiving night. took one step down on one foot and the ankle twisted same with the other ankle, and broke both tibia's. I'm in boots slowly walking about very slowly with crutches. Both are swollen and the skin is stretched , very itchy. Will start therapy soon.

Good luck to you and sending healing blessings your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.