Is my difficulty breathing from acid reflux?

Posted , 64 users are following.

I will tell my whole GERD story after this paragraph, but for those who want the basics of it... I had acid reflux for months but after taking probiotic supplements for a couple weeks, I had 0 symptoms of it. After taking the supplements for about a week though, I started to experience shortness of breath. First only a little bit, but now, it can be the whole day and/or just really intense at night. It feels like I am producing enough oxygen, but I don't feel satisfied with my breaths so often I have to take deep breaths but those stop halfway sometimes.

Went to the doctors who's not sure either since I experience no other health symptoms besides this.

Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any ideas what caused this? 

I *FEEL* like it's my esophagus narrowing because I think my lungs are working fine... if I'm right, is it super dangerous? Can my esophagus close up from inflamming or swelling too much if I don't get help???

"Full" story turned short:

I had acid reflux sometimes as a kid, then it disappeared, then it came back Dec 2015 after I got the stomach flu. Thinking my symptoms were just flu symptoms, I didn't get diagnosed or treated until after a few months (which my friend thinks is a reason I still have it... late diagnose). Anyway, after losing a lot of weight, always being nausesous and tired, etc. I took over-the-counter meds (Zantac, Prilosec, etc.) and multiple tests that all came clear, then I finally got an endocopy and was diagnosed with Esophagitis. The doctor prescribed me Lansoprozele and after trying to take it a few days, I would immediately feel weak and have stomach issues so I stopped taking it. Fast forward to the past few months/weeks of going "natural," drinking Evodia extract, eating Manuka honey, and now ONLY taking probiotic supplement pills, I have been feeling 0 symptoms, except a couple hours every some days when I guess I stress or eat something VERY bad and have a super intense episode of feeling like I need to barf. But besides that, my only issue right now is my difficulty breathing.

6 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had shortness of breath issues for the pst 6 months (since I had my baby) the doctors told me must be my aniexty (have a history of aniexty) This feels much different to me. I feel like I'm not getting enough breath going in. I get a bitter taste in my mouth, dizzy and almost faint from the short of breath feeling. I also have severe constipation and nausea. I can deal with the rest but feeling like I can't breath is really hard to live with. I'm alone most of the time with my 6 month old and it scares the hell out of me and makes my aniexty bad! But I swear it starts with out the aniexty it's just the cause of it..I think!? I have had a chest X-ray and heart my motor and all came back ok. Just so frustrating and sick of living like this! If anyone has ideas or suggestions please please let me know

• Posted

It has to be acid reflux, I'm experiencing the same thing with shortness of breath- it has been causing me to have LOTS OF ANXIETY- which I never had!! I have suffered from acid reflux in the past but never any symptoms of shortness of breath. I started taking my acid reducer twice a day & instantly within 5-10 minutes I'm able to breath better- has helped- Weird!! I looked it up & acid reflux does cause that hard to breath side effect- I didn't know that.. It narrows the esophagus which causes you to have trouble breathing. The weight gain from having a baby could have surfaced the acid reflux, not sure exactly what did. Please read about it, there are many things that could cause it to surface.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying! Sorry I have been busy with the little man. What do you take for the acid reflux? I started taking last week nexium (esomeprazole magnesium)but just the OTC once a day 22.3 mg time release. Also famotidine 10mg a day. Doesn't seem to be helping yet but maybe I'm taking the wrong stuff or not enough of it! I get a sore throat and feel like I always have to clear it also. I almost have asthma like symptoms. But I don't have the actual burning of heartburn and my chest although I looked it up as you suggested and it does say I could have silent reflux which does cause asthma like symptoms. Any suggestions on over-the-counter medicine send would be awesome thanks again

• Posted

Hi Nikki, I just buy the generic Acid Reducer from the Dollar Tree it's a 150 mg for 8 & its only a $1. I take one in the morning & one in the afternoon. The name brand is Zantac - which I have taken in prescription in the past but they sell it over the counter now - also know as Ranitidine. I also have the part were I couldn't clear my throat & I do think it's related to the acid reflux. When I take the med it clears it up so I think it has something to do with the acid.I really hope this helps you & you get better soon. I really don't think you will have to take it forever. Take care of yourself & eat better & you will get better. You will know when you feel better & when it's time to wing yourself off the med. You might have to take in the future from time to time when you have an episode but at least you'll know what it is.. Hoping & Praying this helps you 🙏 Congrats on your little man..

• Posted

Hi Nikki.I was told by my Dr.and pharmacist that the medication HAS to be prescription strength.I take Prilosec 40 mg.once a day.I have good days and bad days.I also have days when I wheeze and breathing feels hard.I've read that comes along with acid reflux.I hope this helped you out a little.Good luck

• Posted

Hi Nikki.I was told by my Dr. and pharmacist that you HAVE to take prescription strength medication.I take Prilosec 40 mg. everyday for Acid Reflux.I too have shortness of breath and wheezing.I've read that can come along with acid reflux.I hope this helped you a little bit.Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Julie, it just depends on what symptoms you have & what the diagnoses is, that's why it is very important to see a doctor. Zantac used to be a prescription too, they just started selling it over the counter within the last couple of years. Doesn't mean it's not any good, it is a very good acid reducer. The difference between Zantac is it is a acid reducer & Prilosec & Nexium are a acid reducer too - but they are a proton pump inhibitor which helps heal ulcers & other things more in detailed. All of the medicines above are really good but you have to have to correct one for your diagnosis in order for it to help. I hope this helps you better understand the difference between the medications. I'm still learning myself & thought this might help you & others understand. Good Luck, wishing you & everybody reading this the very best in health & getting better soon 🍀 GOD BLESS YOU ALL 🌹

• Posted

To nikki683, when you have asthma, you don't necessarily have heartburn.  I have asthma and sometimes it's just tough to breath and I have a slight cough, yet other times it seems as though I can't get the breath in and I start wheezing and I have a "walrus" cough.  On rare occasions my chest starts to burn, but only after running.  I don't have too terribly strong of an asthma problem, but I do know the feeling.   

Oh, and if you found out whether or not it was acid reflux, I do hope you get better.  : ) 

• Posted

Hey Rachel! I've been going through this too i don't have any problems during day times but yeah i can't sleep at night properly sometimes when i have acidity because of shortness of breath ! Do you know what fennel seeds are? There's  a desi remedy it clears your throat and lessens the breathless ness if it's caused by acid refulx try it ! Keep it in your mouth chew it a little don't finish it all the way ! I drink lots of water too with sqeezed lemons on it . It really helps me but on other side i also take Lansoprazole 30mg only when my breathless ness gets really really  bad otherwise few home desi remedies really works for me ! I'll pray for your health though ?Stay Blessed 

• Edited

I am a male in his 40s that has had awful acid reflux for about 10 years now. I've had all of the symptoms described in this theead with pain in the chest, shortness of breath, raspiness, stuffiness, etc. I have used most of the available drugs and tried all the holistic supplements, books, and therapies (AC vinegar, lemon water, probiotics, etc). I've also had all of the tests and gone to the ER multiple times thinking I was having a heart attack, shortness of breath, etc..

This can be a scary condition because many times we don't know what's happening and the tests come back negative and the doctors say it's just stress and diet. Easy fix right? Nothing to be worried about? Great! Wrong. It's very hard to relieve the symptoms if you have it bad and you have to try a lot of things until you find what works for you. I've found doctors have a limited toolbox and don't seem to connect the dots or fully understand the sometimes brutal difficulties of this condition.

After a lot of trial and error working with my Gastro Interologist, what works for me is to raise the top of my bed 4-6 inches with wooden 2 x 4s (Home Depot). Those with breathing issues should notice relief within days. I also take OTC famotodine (Zantac, Pepcid family- usually one before breakfast) and omeprazole (Nexium, Prilosec family- 40 mg daily) The Zantac/ Pepcid is fast acting for immediate relief while the Nexium/Prilosec is slower acting and works all day. I also take Tums whenever symptoms come on and a daily probiotic (be careful as some can aggravate your reflux). Diet is also extremely important. For good results quit coffee/hot chocolate, and soda (any brown liquid). Also limit alcohol (particularly wine) and stop smoking. Limit or stop eating chocolate, citrus (lemons, oranges, etc). tomatoes (sauce, salsa, etc), and spicy food. Limit sugar and carbs. These are the main contributors to reflux for me. Within a month of taking these steps (including raising my bed) I felt a lot better, it was literally night and day and worth it. I can breath better, have far less raspiness, sinus and ear stuffiness, and chest pain. I'm also at a point in my healing where I am slowly reintroducing some of the foods I've given up but have to keep a careful watch over any flare-ups or return symptoms. It's been incredibly challenging but if I can feel better so can you.

• Posted

Hi. I am also a male in my 40's and suffer with acid reflux. I take 40mg pantoprazole once daily and it helps but lately I have been having difficulty while sleeping... Actually it's more like difficulty going to sleep. I beleive my breathing becomes very shallow and I wake up needing to take a deep breath followed by the need to swallow. Sometimes I can't swallow for a moment and it makes me panick. This can happen 50 or more times and eventually I do somehow fall alseep and can stay asleep for the night. I have researched various types of sleep apnea and their causes but it's hard to make a connection to acid reflux except that it can cause shallow breathing. The fact that although lately it's been every damn night that I go through this, I have found that it's worse when I'm feeling heartburn or have a tight chest. I have seen a few doctors and they tell me my heart is fine. Has anyone had these types of sleep issues?

• Posted

Mate, if this is true....

i cant deal with whats going on.

my lungs get that tight it feels that if i breathe in hard enough i could blow them up or something from the pressure...

dry cough forever with shortness of breath.

tomato is my favourite food.

im on holdays in greek islands wanting a beer... had one other day, now i believe im paying consequences.

• Posted

Hi,

I also have this! I wake up having stopped breathing and have to take a deep breath. Is this what they call sleep apnea?

Chris

• Posted

Hey, if and when you find out your answer, please let us know!  Who knows, we might just learn something new!
  • Posted

I have the same thing and was told to take Zantac by my allergist and it really seemed to help.  Another kinda quirky trick that I've tried is try rolling your belly/belly wave like a belly dancer, like ten or more times, for some reason this helps me.  It's weird I know, but for some reason it helps.

• Posted

I notice that laying down on my stomach in general helps.  I tend to get very bloated, can't breathe and my anxiety climbs.  Laying on my stomach pushes my bloated belly in and I get the sensation of it moving in and out back.  Without lying on my stomach I get no belly movement because it is just bloated.  Sometimes I can just push against my bloated stomach with my hands when standing or sitting and breath to get a normal sensation without laying down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.