is my father right? did i worsen scoliosis, is it my fault?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My father just told me I got scoliosis because i almost starved myself. I had little, almost no muscle, and probably little magnesium/calcium.

And to be honest.. i think hes right. The spine couldnt bear the weight. That would be the only logical explanation. 52 kg at 16 years is not healthy!!

I cant believe its just 100% genetics. Maybe that caused it but I definetely worsened it.. or did I? Can anyone prove me wrong or is my father right?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Help me I feel very depressed about it and I think its my fault that it progressed to 25°... is this my fault? ;(

• Posted

The only person that can tell you that for sure it your consultant. I think scoliosis is scoliosis and if your going to get it you get it. I used to think what have I done to cause this but with time I accepted that this is just how I'm meant to be. Try not to blame yourself you won't be able to focus on what you need to to stay strong if your blaming yourself xx

• Posted

I can only tell you that in my case, it was 100% genetic, passed down on the X chromasone from my father.
    • Posted

Also, whether or not it was made worse by an eating disorder, please don't blame yourself. An eating disorder isn't something you choose either. You wouldn't blame yourself if you had asthma or diabetes, would you? Mental issues, to me, are as blameless as physical issues, IMHO...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.