Is my Gonorrhea Treatment working?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 26 year old male in England, I got diagnosed with gonorrhea in the rectum last Thursday, my symptoms were horrible, because I had a mild allergy reaction to the antibiotic injection treatment last year they gave me a different treatment /antibiotic this time.

They gave me 1 Cipro 500mg pill, I took it on Thursday, the next day I felt a lot better but still could feel some slight itchy and the occasional sting in my rectum from time to time, today I still can feel the mild itch feeling and the opening of my anus stung a bit of doing a poo.

Just curious to know if my antibiotic treatment is working or not? I know it can take a few days or even a week for symptoms to go away , but I'm just worried as some gonorrhea strains can be resistant to Cipro.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well we really can’t answer that. You will know when your 7 days pass if you’re still having symptoms. I know that because you’re allergic to antibiotics can be a little tricky. So hopefully this treatment does work for you. I’m not telling you how to live your life but coming from someone who has a daughter that is allergic to antibiotics i would suggest that you use protection with your health at any point. The last thing you want is to have antibiotics complications. Wish you the best and keep us updated. Hopefully we will be getting good news. Cheers. 
  • Posted

So each day after my treatment on Thursday I felt improvement, Sunday was great, felt mostly fine, but I just woke up now with quite a bad itch in my anus, very strange.. Not sure if it's just something else or the Gonorrhea came back.

• Posted

Hasn’t it been 3 days since you started your treatment? 
    • Posted

Yes today is day 4, but I don't think its normal for symptoms to go away and then come back again, but I don't know.

• Posted

OK so Monday I woke up with bad Itch in my rectum but it went away and I actually had a good day, mostly symptom free

Tuesday was a good day, I was sure the antibiotic worked, I feel so much better but did feel a bit of a stinging feeling on my anus as I was walking home from work.

Today I woke up with mild itching in my rectum, this is annoying as I have no idea if the treatment worked or not now, I keep thinking I'm cured then I get a symptom again, think I will call the sexual health clinic and see what they think.

• Posted

Usually you need to go back to your doctor and they have to check you again to see if you reacted well to the treatment and if you’re cure.  If you still have gonorrhea I’m sure they’ll prescribe you with another type of antibiotics. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.