Is my prolapse really causing all my bowel problems?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I've been recently told I have a rectocele, cystocele and uterine prolapse, uterine being the worse one, I wasn't told what stage they were however presumed not bad as the only thing I was told to do was pelvic floor exercises for 3 month,and take painkillers and stool softeners and come back if pain worsens.

The symptoms I was having which led me to go and get checked out in the first place were sacrum area pain and pressure feeling rectum area along with feeling like I needed to pass stool all the time but being unable to vaginal stretching feeling when using bathroom. Pelvic and groin area pain and also problems having a bowel movement. Which has been getting progressively worse over the last few month.

Anyway the bowel problems over the last few weeks especially are really concerning me to the point I'm beginning to wonder if it is my prolapse or something else that is causing the troubles. I just haven't been able to pass stool at all really, if I do manage to go at all dispite my best efforts only a small amount of soft skinny flat poo comes out. The only way I manage to go is by basically living on stool softeners 2 to 3 times a day which results in a soft/liquidy stool that takes a bit less effort to pass. The pains I have been having have also reduced a little with not going to the loo basically and the less effort on the loo by using the softeners which is great but it's not solving my problems and it's frustrating.

Is this normal considering my prolapse are apperantly not too bad or am I right in thinking that something else could be going on?

Can't seem to find anyone writing anything similar everywhere I have looked online so I'm getting worried more and more about it all every day.

Anyone having the same symptoms or can offer advice please.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi donna774

your problem sounds very similar to my story! I eventually had a hysterectomy and anterior repair 2 years ago but still had the lower back pains and poo emptying problem. Then 8 months ago had the posterior repair done and haven't had anymore pain or poo problems. I think firstly you should check your fibre and water intake, soluble and insoluble fibre...one makes it pass easy and the other bulks it up to give you a decent amount. I don't know if this helps but hope it does. xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying Bohlou.

Hope you don't mind me asking but were you prolapses as mild as presumably mine are. Just seems so strange to be having such disruption to my bowels if my prolapse isn't really bad,which is what worries me quite a bit. Unless of course they are worse than the nurse thought...

Tbh the nurse did not seem overly concerned and was eager to get me out the office as I had already had my 10 mins lol. Felt a little fobbed off tbh especially after reading about it as much as possible since finding out I noticed most people get referred to someone either for more testing or pelvic floor exercise help etc, I don't really understand why I haven't been especially as I told her how much trouble and pain I've been having, I even told her I have trouble doing the exercises.

I feel a little better just having someone saying they experienced similar symptoms and I'm not going out of my mind so much thinking something worse could be going on.

Yes I have been thinking a lot more about my foods I'm consuming especially fibre wise and I know I need more water tbh so I'm trying to up everything now but not had much luck atm, is there any foods etc you would recommend that helped you with passing stools in particular?

Glad to hear you have had such a good success with sorting your prolapse, after all the horror stories of failed ops I've been reading it had made me more worried about it all.

Appreciate your reply thanks Donna x

• Posted

hi Donna

I've had the same as you.. now my back wall is playing up so will need sorting at some point. my professor wouldnt do all 3 together.lhow was the pain post op.was it worse than last op tvh and anterior?

I'm so glad all is well.x

• Posted

sorry Donna I meant boho to answer..I got the names mixed up lo

• Posted

Hi Donna, I would suggest avocado, broccoli, pears, shreddies, raspberries, sweet pots, linseed or flaxseed sprinkled on foods and cut down on red meats and process foods. Make sure you get a second opinion if you're not happy, I had to go for a private consultation then get referred to her through NHS. xx

Hi Welshgirl67 I didn't have much pain to be honest but it's true what is said about making the vagina very tight and has left quite a lot of scar tissue! So now I'm having to use dilators! xx

• Posted

hi hun

how are dilators for scar tissue? I suppose it helps to stretch it .

• Posted

I had a prolapsed bladder 3 yrs ago problems urinating no pain,I had surgery 3 yrs ago no problem ever since,this site is the only place that helped me get through it all, get the surgery cause it can come out and hang my friend has that problem and won't get the surgery

• Posted

hello dianelou

did you have anterior repair or back wall repairs?

I had my first anterior done 3 yrs ago but it didn't hold do 2 years later a new proff in Urogynacologist and also a hysterectomy fir uterus dropping I'm nearly 2 years post op.

I do have issues with back wall and some weird sensations with ut lol so I'm hoping to get it done some time.

how are you now after yours hun? what crap we have to tend with isnt it after chimdbirt9 and menopause. x

• Posted

Hi dianelou

I have put my first post on this site today.

Could you tell me what operation you had,and which Surgeon you had and

where please.

I live in Leeds uk.

• Posted

I think its your weak pelvic floor that is causing all your problems. I think you may be in Uk as pelvic floor exercises are always the first thing recommended. Ask your doctor for a referral to a Urogynaecologist. I can thoroughly recommend getting surgery for the Cystocele, rectocele and maybe the uterine prolapse as well although you may be asked to try a shelf pessary in the vagina next just for the prolapse.

• Posted

Hello Donna

I have just been diagnosed with a small bowel prolapse, I saw a Nurse Practitioner she checked my vagina first with a gloved hand, she said it was a small bowel prolapse, but when she looked with a spectulum she struggled to see it, she said she thinks she pushed it back when using a gloved hand, but I have to see a GP on the 9th Jan, just to get it confirmed.

One important thing I read is that if you struggle to open your bowels, to push on the perineum, because the poo can get caught in the prolapse making it hard to expel, it said it is perfectly safe.

• Posted

Ladies, a small bowel prolapse is slightly different to a rectocele,although of course you can have both. A rectocele is the lowest part of your bowel pushing into the back wall of the vagina ,usually forming a loop and bulging into the vagina. The problem is getting the faeces around the loop. You can often help defecation by putting a finger in the vagina and pushing the bulge back, so straightening out the loop,although for many its not easy, and is not a permanent answer. Its usually caused by vaginal deliveries which stretch the vaginal walls and then they stay weak.

Small bowel prolapse is much higher in the vagina at the "top end",and can be caused by a weakened pelvic floor due to hysterectomy. It can be pushed back by a nurse or doctor but it usually recurs. Its usually too high in the vagina to be pushed back by yourself.

These are so common that the usual first line of treatment is physiotherapy to strengthen the pelvic floor. The NHS is so lacking in money at the moment its the cheapest option, and as the conditions are so common it keeps us ladies off the waiting lists. Dont give up. There are procedures to sort out these problems, but at first concentrating on exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor will help you to have a better outcome.If you are overweight,do try to lose a bit. Being heavy does not help.

• Posted

Hello

I found the information very informative, and interesting.

I have had a hysterectomy, a few weeks ago I felt different down stairs, so I checked my vagina, and felt a lump at the back, it was a way back but I could feel it, so I went and saw a Nurse Practitioner, she checked with both finger and spectulum, when she looked with the speculum she couldnt realy find it, but she said she is certain its a small bowel prolapse, and has arranged for me to see a GP on the 9th Jan, I have noticed that sometimes when I wee I hear a noise like air coming from my vagina, but I dont have any discharge, could it be a hole in the back wall of my vagina, I have already mentioned this to the Doctor before, so he sent me for a ultra sound, but everything was fine, so have you any idea what this may be.

• Posted

Hallo Shadow. Its probably just air that is trapped in the vagina and is expelled when you wee. Its quite common. No,I dont think its a hole.

• Posted

Oh thank you that has made me feel better, I am 77 and have never heard this noise before I found this lump and saw a Nurse Practitioner, today I noticed another lump or could be the same one, its just inside my vagina, so now I am really confused, I am due to see a GP on the 9th Jan, I am wondering if I should see a GP earlier, its strange because before I felt it at the back, but this feels just inside the vagina.

I think I am to old to get a bartholomews cyst.

• Posted

Could it be a cystocele? A lump in the vagina on the front wall?It may be your bladder that is pushing back into the vagina. Have you had babies vaginally?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.