Is my prostate size normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I (37 M) got a pelvic ultrasound and my prostate size was reported as 4 x 2.7 x 4 cm. It was reported to be "normal in size."

From what I understand, prostate size should be 30 cc. By a simple volume calculation (length x breadth x height), the size of my prostate is 43 cc. I had been having mild chronic prostatitis symptoms for years.

So my question is, is my prostate enlarged or normal? And am I calculating the size wrong?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have read that normal weight should be 20-25g and size approximately4x2x3cm. I have no idea how anyone can tell how much it weighs! If you have mild prostatitis yours possibly is larger than "normal". It's probably like anything else, each person will differ. This forum is great and I'm sure a lot more people will be along to offer advice soon.

• Posted

They just put two fingers under it and know from experience how much it weighs. It seems not to need much training to do it as GP's who do not do it very often usually get it right. Now they are training nurses to do initial consultations to decide who needs passing up the chain. Every DRE estimate I've had has later been confirmed by a TRUSS or cystoscopy.

Size does not mean a lot it depends on where it is pressing and causing an obstuction.  Mine was reduced from 135grm to 55grm in my last laser procedure.The 55gms of tissue left is not causing any problem. 

• Posted

Hi. That size is around normal. Mine was 130cc/gm before my HoLep op as a comparison.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Maybe they have an acceptable range and they decided that my size is in limits?
    • Posted

The question is not the size of your prostate. The problem is your symptoms. You need to see a good urologist and get help if you have troublesome symptoms.

Neal

• Posted

Mine is 98 cc which has been described as large.
  • Posted

Men your a lucky dude i gotta tell you. 37 hmh, im 26 and my prostate size is 48cc and dont know what should i do. If you have kids already, just treat it. Surgery, medicine, or ingection or some sort. Best of luck to you!
    • Posted

Jaylee, why are you concerned about a 48 cc prostate? Do you have any BPH symptoms?
    • Posted

Yeah dribbling, pain at night, feels like someones squeezing when im peeing. So yeah basically bph symptoms. Dont know why the docs are saying its chronic prostatis, if all the symptoms are towards bph.
    • Posted

Um, I think those actually sound like prostatitus symptoms. Can anyone else on the forum confirm that?

I have BPH symptoms to the max (urgency, weak interrupted stream, up several times at night to pee), but have never had pain or dribbling.

• Posted

My prostate was 141 grams.  Yours is very small compared to mine.
    • Posted

Yeah by the time you age it turns like that. But im just 26. So highly big for my age
    • Posted

I'm not certain, but if you are having discomfort and pain it is probably prostatitis as well.

• Posted

Sorry guys. I just talked to a physician and found out that the prostate size calculation is not done as length x breadth x height as if it is a cube. Since it is rounded, we have to divide it by 1.8 too. Using this method,my prostate size is in low 20s.

Thank you for all those who tried to help.Hopefully, this info helps people who have an ultrasound done and get their prostate dimensions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.