Is my scab infected?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For new years I had a spark go off my hand and it left a burn mark. I am a very bad picker and picked it. Yes, I know very very stupid. I think I learned something this time because I regret it so much this time. After I picked it, my hand started to swell, and it started to hurt when I touched around the area. Though a couple of days after the swelling went down and it did not hurt when I touched around the area. Now I just have a problem. It wont really scab. It creates a clear film around it. I showered and experienced that my towel ripped off the thin clear film. When I put a band-aid on, it doesn't really close but keeps being moisty and leaves more film. It has been yellow but it isn't really anymore. Also, in the beginning, there was a very hard layer of very brownish scab. I've used some special cream because I already have problems with sensitive skin, so I just use that cream. It doesn't hurt as it did in the beginning. But I am just worried because it doesn't really scab well. Is this just the part of the process? I hope someone can help! sorry for my sentencing and language structure.But English is my second language.  The picture is taken right after I showered. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It does appear infected and Best to get your gp to look at it. 
  • Posted

it isn't a pretty picture, but it doesn't appear to be infected as the red shows blood-flow, more like the skin is still trying to repair itself.

i'd say due to the burn mark location, theres only 3 skin layers on the hand, so it can take sometime to heal, what you may consider is applying petroleum jelly to soften skin around it and to lock in moisture to aid or quicken the repair.

occasionally, removing the scab (depending on the location) can help the healing process as cuts and burns need the air to heal, whereas permanently covering the areas lengthens the healing process, but can stop any infections getting into open wounds

best option is to see a medical professional if the issue continues

• Posted

So I should let it air dry and keep it moistured? Cuz lately i’ve been putting a band aid on during the day. But it seems when I remove the band aid that is doesn’t scab. But doing the night I remove the band aid and I put on neurosbin on it and it will create a thin scab. So would it just be best to keep nerosbin or vaseline around it and air dry it?
  • Posted

Yes, let it air dry.. is there any pus? If there is, you may wish to see your gp.

I'd usually bare with the pain and press it out and clean the wound with alcohol wipes but I wouldn't recommend you to do that as it's gonna be painful and sting.

• Posted

There is no pus. It does look very familiar with skin ulcer. I did go see the school nurse. She gave me burn dressing and band-aids. She told me that there were no infections. Since the skin was pink. Yesterday I accidentally scraped my hand when I had to reach out for something in a drawer and obviously it started to bleed. This is the first time the wound has been bleeding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.