is my shortness of breath serious? (ANXIETY)

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello! i am 17 year old girl that has always struggled with anxiety (especially when it comes to medical related things). ive managed to control it over the years but sometimes it still gets to me (sudden panic attacks).

recently ive been getting a sudden feeling of being out of breath, i can best explain it like needing to breathe in immeaditely a few times but it doesnt stop me from being able to talk or anything. it started when i suddenly jumped out of bed one night feeling like i wasnt breathing and i started jumping around in confusion till i regained my senses (that night i read a lot about sleep apnea). few times after it was when i was laying down to sleep and it was accompanied with a pressure like feeling around my face. does anyone know if this is serious?

may i add that i have had a history of hay fever where strong smells such as perfume and dust are huge triggers and im also lactose intolerant and get acid reflux a lot (so maybe bloating causes shortness of breath? but its different idk).

ive been coughing a bit (nothing severe at all, no fever) and i really hope this isnt covid because i have had very little contact with people and have gone out very few times (im always staying safe when i do)

i cant ask my parents to go to the doctor bec they dont take my anxiety seriously and will tell me there is no need for a visit

ps: i am at a very healthy weight and pretty active with a balanced diet. though i dont sleep very well

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Sitapickle

I have same prblm

All tests done heart ecg echo lungs x ray all test. Doc says it is anxiety but i dont know if it is or not

it started last year in may I extremely panicked that it is covid

But it wasn't after that it lasted for 3 months

This year again it started in March when I woke up I was out of breathe

I fear it may be emphysema or copd or asthma but all tests are normal and I don't smoke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.