Is my surgery wound infected?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi I was rushed in for a emergency appendix removal 13 days ago and worried about my scar,

staple were removed 3 days ago but the would looks angry and is swollen (see pics)

Docs said its hematoma and to watch it, im back there tomorrow

never had anything before so no idea if this is normal healing or infection?![image]

(https://patient.azureedge.net/forums/images/upload-sm/1222590-636802270567058669.jpg)image

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

• Posted

Do you keep it covered withe gauze or nothing? It looks slightly irritated but not infected but I'm not a doc,sorry.

• Posted

docs took the dressing off and said to leave it

I will ask for more dressings tomorrow.

thanks for the reply, its a first ever surgery for me so don't know what right or wrong

• Posted

I would suggest that you ask your doctor tomorrow for further advice on your wound. I am not a doctor and can't tell much from your photo. Your doctor should be able to help you more.

• Posted

You have probably already been to Dr by now but for future reference-to keep watch on things of this nature - here is what I was told. Use a regular ink pen and very lightly outline the redness. That way you can see if its spreading.

Generally there will be tenderness and swelling but it progressively worsens quickly there is something wrong. Rapidly advancing symptoms can indicate infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.