Is my tinnitus likely due to Eustacian Tube Dysfunction?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 47 year old male and have had mildish fluctuating tinnitus for about 7 weeks now. I remember one night my right ear rang pretty loudly for about 10 seconds, and for about 10 minutes after the ear was quite suceptible to noise. I felt no pain, but running a shower would make the ringing worse. It faded after about 10 minutes though and I thought nothing of it.

However not long after I noticed when in a quiet room I could hear a quiet high pitched sound. Definitely within my ear, not my head. It wasn't a constant ringing , tone or hiss, it was more of slightly fluctuating "growl" or buzzing. I have also experienced another sound, a very high pitched sort of "sparkle" sound, which seems to be the more "intense" stage of the tinnitus.

I gave it 3 weeks to go away but when it didn't I saw a doctor. The first doctor looked in my ear and said my right eardrum was slightly "pushed in" and the ear canal was slightly inflamed. She gave me an anti inflammatory ear spray. She also demonstrated the Valsalva maneuver, which I didn't know about. I tried doing that and the right ear, with tinnitus was indeed harder to "pop". Not impossible, but certainly harder. 

The next week I saw another doctor. He looked in my ears and said my ears looked fairly healthy. I mentioned the buzzing noise and difficulty in popping my right ear. He thought I might have a problem with my Eustacian Tubes and recommended steam inhalation.

Then 2 weeks later I saw another doctor. She said that my eardrums looked a bit dull and that might suggest fluid in my Eustacian tubes. She didn't say that my ear looked inflamed or that my eardrums were pushed in or anything like that. She gave me a nasal spray and an Otovent device, used for equalising ear pressure.

Before I visited any doctor or knew about Eustacian Tubes I can't say I noticed any major "fullness" in my ear. It didn't feel clogged up. I did notice thought at times it would give small clicks, and if I wriggled my lower jaw the right way it would sometimes "pop" . I occasionally had moment of mild pain in my right ear, but really just a momentary ache that would last a few seconds.I also noticed one time when sleeping on my left side that swallowing would produce a crackle noise in my right ear.

I have taken up daily exercise now and although at times it seems to aggravate the tinnitus slightly I view it as a small price to pay. I have since been using steam inhalation 3 times a day and using the Otovent and Valsalva to pop my ears. I have noticed in the past few weeks that my hearing can feel slightly muffled after popping my ears, then suddenly there is a crackling noise (and occasionally a loud "thud"wink and my hearing becomes clear again, albeit still with the buzzing noise.The crackles and thuds can happen withing a few minutes or up to half an hour after popping my ear. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bryan,

I too suffer Tinnitus and very bad Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (Glue Ear they call it in children)  I've suffered for more years than I care to remember.  I think you are doing all you can regarding the crackling noise that does suggest you do in fact have ETD.  I can sometimes pop my ears and other times it's impossible.  Using this method to try and pop ones ears can result in a perforated eardrum that has happened to e at least five time this year.

Thankfully, my ENT consultant that I see twice yearly since the illness of meningitis which I contracted after a bad episode of ETD  The bacteria crossed the Blood/Brain barrier and I was seriously ill.  Not too sure what brought on my Tinnitus but I've now had it for 30 yrs.  My brain has learnt to ignore it only only when talking about it do I notice it....horrible condition, but sooner put up with tinnitus than blocked ears that are so very hard to clear, even with the correct medication.

I hope you get sorted soon.

Anne

• Posted

Iv got the same thing. I have T as well as crackling and pipping. At times at nite, it will sometimes sound like a door slammed in my head, thus the THUMP. My ENT said sometimes E. Tube gets stuck and for me to hold my nose and blow until my ears pip. At least 20x a day to do tht. Like you, one ear won't pop..This has been going on for over a yr now off and on. Now to nite I'm sitting here with a hot water bottle on my ear with pain in front of my ear, not in it..have no clue what's going on but so old. I do have slight high pitch hearing liss, thus the T. (TINNITIS)...sometimes my eye even aches behind it as well..hoping we can get some answers..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.