Is my wrist fractured or not? Two different doctors saying two different things.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Over a month ago, i hit my wrist insanely hard on a railing i got pain for like a week, it dulled, then came back last week, so i finally went to the doctors. The doctor at patient first took a look and told me she saw a small fracture in the ulna styloid, and even showed me where it was, they splinted me and sent me to an orthopedic. There i got put with an PA as the actual ortho was booked up, he took a few looks at my xray and told me didnt see a fracture, asked me to show it to him and then admitted it could be a small chip but because he didnt see it in the other xrays he wasnt considering it anything, told me my pain should go away in two weeks and braced me, im supposed to be going back on Friday. He told me if it didnt stop hurting they would have to do an MRi im just lost as the patient first showed me a fractured which i included circled in the photo, but the pa seems to think because i wasnt feeling that much pain and he didnt see a fracture on other xrays that its not there. My hand is now in even more pain slightly bruised and swollen from the brace. i even got a letter from patient first the other day saying that a radiologists took a look at my xray and confirmed a fracture. i just dont know what to believe and ive included my xray to show where she thought the fracture was, im afraid they arent gonna treat it right and my wrist will simply keep refracturing itself if i dont get it sorted.image

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

in my limited experience with simple fractures ( 4 for me, 8 with my kids) all were treated by immobilization, OTC pain meds and time. A compound fracture where the bone has actually split and shifted required surgery and hardware. Yours appears to be a simple fracture. If you can swing it I'd get it looked at by another ortho. But I think you're probably good as long as you've got it immobilized. But - and this is big BUT - I'm no doctor. So get to another ortho if you can.

• Posted

i was just curious to know if anyone else even thought it was a fracture as the pa tried to tell me it isnt. im worried on friday that hes gonna just pass it off and tell me that i dont need the brace anymore and not do any further testing on it, 2 weeks in a brace wont heal a fracture especially when ive already left it fractured for so long. last time i had only a buckle fracture ( a small bend/torsion in the bone) and the actual ortho there fully casted me. i want him to take a look at my hand but i think im gonna be back in with the same pa as before who just dissmisses my pain as nothing. its just frustrating to have a doctor that wont listen to me especially when i have multiple others telling me theres a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.