Is nasal swelling a secondary Symptom

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I was diagnosed with Ra alittle over 6 months ago. This is when all my symptoms kicked in. Painful wrists, knuckles, knees and ankles. At first, I just couldn't get out of bed. This all came from septoplasty surgery in June of last year. Initially, i had throat and nasal dryness. My Rheumy says dryness can be a symtom of RA. The throat has gotten better but my nasal dryness comes and goes. I think its more like inflammation in my nasal passages as I get stuffy and think its a flare. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if the methotrexate helps with the nasal swelling. Also how long do you have to be on it to see a significant change? Do you have to be on this medicine forever? Any input is appreciate. Thanks and God bless.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My husband has RA and recently went to an ENT for his raspy voice and dry mouth. She saw a lot of sticky, thick mucus draining in the back of his throat and recommended a facial steamer to help. He also got a full face bipap mask this week as his old one was allowing his mouth to pop open and he breathed mostly through his mouth all nite. His rheumy said he is verging on sjorgens (sp?) Which sometimes accompanies RA. So, this may not help you a lot, but thought I would tell you what is going on with my RA guy. He is 74 and has other chronic illnesses and is on a lot of meds, which add to the problem.
  • Posted

I noticed persistent nasal congestion at the onset of my RA. It came with a gluey/crusty yellow mucous.

I also had dry eyes and a dry mouth, I was drinking sips of water constantly. There were muttering of Sjogrens, then. So from my experience I’d say yes to your question about the symptom, and also yes about methotrexate providing relief. 

I started methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine over a year ago. It took more than 3 months and then a switch from oral to subcutaneous self administered injections for this to become most bearable and effective. I am presently almost free of pain symptoms. The nasal symptoms cleared with everything else. Dry eyes still require drops from time to time. 

Also be aware that the dry mouth/reduced saliva is altering the chemistry in your mouth, saliva is usually lubricating and buffering acid in there. I was advised by a dental surgeon to start using high fluoride toothpaste, which I now do. 

Do you have to stay on methotrexate? Yes. While it works. And judging from the damage described by insufficiently treated sufferers - we should be glad to have it!

• Posted

Amen, thank you for giving me hope. I don't know anyone with RA or an autoimmune disease and it has been alittle frightening to say the least. I've always thought of myself as a positive person, strong but I have to say this had really challenged the person I used to be. I hope to get there again. I am happy to see how better you feel. I took my MTX today. I pray that it will benefit me like it did you. The congestion and dry throat have scared me the most. I do feel some improvement. Thanks again and God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.