Is Nummular Eczema contagious?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Nummular Eczema.  I am a 37 year old female.   I have never had eczema my whole life, so this is very new to me as it just started 5 years ago, about 1 year after I met my boyfriend.  We have lived together for 6 years and he has Nummular Eczema also.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?  Everything I read says that it's not contagious, but it just doesn't make sense.   I have read that there is a connection with Staphylococcus aureus and eczema and that has got me thinking that it can be somewhat contagious to another person your close with.  My boyfriend has had a couple Staph infections that he needed to be hospitalized for and the doctor told him that he just has a lot of Staph on his skin.  So.. could it be possible that I now too, have extra staph on my skin, passed from him, that triggered my Nummular Eczema?   

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It probably shouldn't be contagious... Until a part of your skin barrier becomes damaged through abrasion, sunburn etc. If and when that happens, your skin can become breeding ground for many pathogens, of which antibiotic-resistant strains of Staphylococcus Aureus are thought to be responsible or aggravating factors in most varieties of atopic dermatitis.

I am anecdotally convinced of this link between Staph and Eczema because I suffered for 20 years from the disease, and found no cure through conventional treatments, until I took St. John's Wort capsules over a 6 month period. St John's Wort is believed capable of combating the most resistant strains of Staph bacteria. However, it is not suitable for everyone since a minority of people might experience unpleasant side-effects through its consumption. It can also interact with certain conventional drugs. I was among those lucky not to experience any such effects and was not taking any other drug during my healing period with SJW. I have now been eczema-free for 4 years. 

There are also several other plants in nature believed capable of combating antibiotic-resistant strains of Staph, such as Aloe Vera, Calendula, Comfrey, and Turmeric among many others. Some people claim to have experienced considerable relief by applying creams containing one or many of these ingredients on their eczema wounds. It's a question of experimenting, but no one really knows what the outcome will be in advance. You could also develop an allergy to any of those plants and thereby worsen your condition. Patience and bravery are required if you hope to win the combat against this tough-to-beat disease.

Good luck, Greg.

• Posted

Very interesting... I actually think my eczema started when I was using a 20% glycolic acid lotion on my body, which would make sense from what you explained on damaging the skin barrier.  Thank you for taking the time reply.  I'm definitely going try the Aloe Vera and Turmeric, as I have both here with me right now.   This eczema is driving me crazy with the itching!  It's seems so much more itchier at night.  Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.