Is nystagmus a side effect or a withdrawal symptom from mirtazapine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My doctor put me on 15 mg of mirtazapine about three weeks ago for a severe depression that's lasted about 6 months already. I had tried several other meds but had side effects to them all. A week ago at the doctor's recommendation, I stopped taking the mirtazapine because I had been on it only two weeks, and I was on only 15 mg.

The night after I stopped the medication, I had severe nausea, vomiting, headache, unsteadiness on my feet (like standing on a boat's deck in a storm), nystagmus, and at the same time, a sound like a light saber from Star Wars. Weird!

Although the nausea has stopped, the most disturbing problem remaining is the nystagmus. It happens when I look sideways, and I get 3-5 flicks of my eyes, accompanied by the "light saber" sound.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, does it subside?

I'm still having withdrawal symptoms besides the nystagmus -- insomnia, jitteriness, irritability, headaches, huge appetite, and sensitivity to light and sound. I'm not going to taper off -- I'm just going to tough it out. I'm going to look into conservative ways to detox, too.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Felt the need to reply...sorry can't help you on withhdrawels...never done it 19 days ago i went from 22.5 mg of mitaz to 30mg only felt normal last 3 day's....on detox i use chamomile tea b4 bed 2 cups is best 4 the zzz's liqurice tea to calm me down during day and redbush tea at all other times for me it tases bettet than gteen tea + has same benefits...look them up on the net make your own mind up i hope i have staryed you off in right direction....it need not break the bank supermarket's do there own make...and tesco's have named brand's on for 1.00 hope this has helped
  • Posted

Hi Linda can I ask why the gp has taken you off your 15 mg mirta?
  • Posted

I was on 30mg of mirtazapine for clinical depression for 2 yrs and completely recovered. When I came off my meds I did not experience one side effect.. Everyone is different and reacts differently to different medications. I reduced my meds to half every nite for 2 weeks then half every second nite for 2 weeks then half every 3 nites for a week and so on until my body probably never noticed. I can't comment on your withdrawal symptoms but hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Jacqueline, I was having bad side effects on 15 mg -- nystagmus, sleeplessness, faintness, and irritability, which I hadn't experienced before I started taking mirtazapine. Before that, I'd been on venlafaxine, and before that, trazodone, and before that, fluoxetine. Nothing has helped the depression. I'm thinking about ECT as an option. I was on mirtazapine for only a week, so we didn't think I'd need to taper on such a low dose. Wrong!

Thanks! I hope I do feel better soon.

• Posted

O Linda it's such a debilitating illness I so understand. I would really really think very long and hard about ect . My dad had many of them yrs ago and I must say that it's a route that I wld never go down but that's not for me to say .. I do hope that you get the suitable help you need .
  • Posted

A friend of mine, who's a nurse, thought the nystagmus may be unrelated to the mirtazapine and might be related to an inner ear problem. She suggested I go back to the doctor for further evaluation. Meanwhile, I still feel terrible. This shall pass, this shall pass.
  • Posted

I went from 4 10mg methadone down to one now. I take a half less every month. But all a,sudden 2 days ago when I wake up, I roll over & my eyes jerk back & forth like 10 times like vertigo. I take Valium to sleep

Also, It does it a few times during the day but only like 3 times they jerk side to side. It's called nystagmus. I was thinking I had a brain tumor.

FYI I'm not a drug addiction. I moved to Missouri to care for my dad & lost my doc in cali. I just decided to taper since I'm not moving furniture any longer. But if you get anymore info, let me know. It's kinda scary!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.