Is pain after the av fistula surgery normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother got the av fistula surgery to create a port for dialysis a few days ago. She says she is the the most pain she has ever been in. Is this normal? Or should she go back to her Dr or to the ER? I have seen it said pain for a few days is normal and I have also seen it said it is not. Has anyone had experience with this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Shauna. I don't know very much about pain following a fistula operation as mine went very smoothly and I only took a few paracetamol tablets the first evening. If your mother is in a great deal of pain I would think it advisable to let the clinic know without delay, without worrying her unduly; I am sure it can easily be put right.

I hope she receives some relief from her pain soon -- my good wishes and prayers are with her.

• Posted

Thank you. If it's not better today I am going to urge her to go at least have it checked.

• Posted

The one over the counter drugs like aspirin or ibuprofen should never be taken by dialysis patients. That is the most common drug for pain. All of the research I have done states it is the worst thing to take for pain. I usually take acetaminophen and if the pain is bad a prescription drug from my doctor.

Every person is different. So always check in with a doctor. My first av fistula hurt alot, but the pain usually lessens as time comes on.

My second av fistula still hurts. I had the operation on December 28th last year. But it doesn't work. My arm and fingers swelled up twice it's size (steal hand) and the doctor sewed it off and it is still in my arm. The pain is constant plus my arm is numb from my armpit to my forearm.

Any concerns should always be checked by the surgeon or your personal doctor.

I am not a doctor.

My problem is-- I have circulation problems which caused my second av fistula to fail, besides having 2 amputations. Lost circulation in my feet.

There are pain medications that can be taken if the pain is unbearable. Again, ask the doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.