Is pain my life now?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After having severe herniation l4-l5 I had a discectomy in April. I thought I was getting better and I would recover slowly. I was told last week after having an mri that the disc has re herniated. I've now got pain in both legs, in different places. The Dr said they'll refer for pain management and that was it. This can't be my life can it? I'm only 25,i don't want to live the rest of my life like this.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sinead

I can understand why this is scary right now. First I would get a second opinion. Going straight to a purely pain management approach sounds premature. There could be more surgical options. It depends on the condition of the disc. First you could have a second discectomy. Less good but still may be preferable would be fusion. You are young for it and it has less chance of success the microdiscectomy but it may be better than doing nothing. If the reherniation is not severe you might even get away with a steroid injection and lots of physio to rebuild you back muscles and take the pressure off the disc.

These are all just options but if your doctor has not categorically ruled them out for some reason then you need a second opinion. Are you with an NHS doctor? If so, do you have the option of going private? For me, it is worth a substantial investment to sort this out, or even to get a decent shot at doing so. Sometimes NHS doctors can be spread too thin or not have the inclination to point you at treatments that are pricey without a very high chance of success so some pointy elbows will come in handy.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I've suffered for 20 years with my back , the last 4 year have been horrendous. I had part discectomy on L4/L5 3 year ago while it relived the sciatica I've never been pain free , I've also had fibromyalgia for 20 yr, this yr Ave had a further 2 MRI one showing a bone spur and disc buldge in my neck c5/c6 and also disc desiccated in l4/5 L5/s1 they should look like marshmallows but instead they look like Pringle s . Dried out and shrunk , 8in constant pain can no longer sit up in a upright position or walk or stand for long period s . Got my doc to refer me to a private hospital to see a neurosurgeon which Iam back next week see what he suggests. As nhs rheumatologist suggest just pain relief and physo . Which I've done the last 15 yrs with no relief. You can ask to be refers to a private hospital by the nhs it's your right , the longer your left like I was the more nerve damage will be done, they can fuse and replace disc with titanium which is quite successful also they can hear the disc s left so the go very hard not sure about success rate on that . My quality of life is💩And I was told if my back effects my quality of life like it is then they wud operate. Realistically they shud of fused the first time round. But as it was an emergency op as disc s were crushing spinal cord they just did what they had to . Hope u get the help u need .

• Posted

Oh Sinead I am so pleased to meet you but sorry for the reason why! I have herniated L5 pressing on S1 nerve root and I am only 29 and live like an old biddy due to my pain and mobility! I've been like this for over a year. So have you have an actual back surgery for your disk? Please don't despair, there are many things that can help you manage your pain that are non surgical with no side effects. One of which I am doing as we speak - infrared heat lamp

• Posted

I said to my husband I feel like I should be getting retirement soon the way I've been feeling. It's horrible not having the body you should at this age, obviously you understand too how hard it is. My friends want to go out for drinks and a dance, I can't do either now due to high doses of morphine and pain. I've been feeling so down since I got my results back, I'm wanting to know if prolatherapy is an option for me because I've heard amazing things, but before my op my condition was too bad for it to be an option. I've not heard of a heat lamp treatment before, what does it entail?

• Posted

All I know, Is I kept walking when it did not hurt terribly, did stretching and yoga, used some machines lightly for strenghting mucles. and its been 3 years and the Sciatica is finally almost gone, I just have cramping down both legs in the morning. but I am 58, you are young and can heal better, so dont give up, get some physical therapy stretches and yoga to do at home. I pray it gets better soon for you. I just have disc herniation, or bulging disk, degenerative disks and I am out of alignment. but it is getting better. best wishes, get the other muscles stronger. JoanĀ 
  • Posted

I've been feeling so down since my results have been back, I don't know exactly what I expect now treatment wise, I'm going to find out as much as I can about how bad my back is and work from there. I've started pilates in the hope it will strengthen my core and help my back. I'm also trying to lose weight, I am classed an obese now which obviously isn't helping. I was immobile before my discectomy in April, and I am terrified ill be like that again.

• Posted

Hi Sinead. I am going for Prolozone injections which I think is meant to be even better than prolotherapy. So far I've only had one session of injections which also included osteopathy so it's hard to say how effect it is as I'm still in pain. I too am very depressed. If it's any consolation, your weight is not to blame as I was anorexic when I slipped my disc although I am better from that now. I do yoga and some Pilates daily. Strengthening the core will help but it won't do anything for nerve pain if a nerve root is impinged although I don't know if that is the case with you? Infrared heat lamps are on amazon £35 very good. I alternate this with ice packs and I also take magnesium flake baths when I've done something to really aggravate it like too much walking or driving. Do you have a stability ball? Is recommend this. I also have NO social life due to the fact it is so painful sitting down on most chairs. I can't go to the cinema, theatre, dinner etc. I usually lie down or stand up or hold a yoga position. Plough pose helps me but that is not to say it would help you - depends on your symptoms

• Posted

I've sent you a lengthy reply but it's being moderated as I mentioned a product on it so we shall see! If it doesn't get accepted you might be able to contact me via another means. I'm not sure if this site allows direct messages

• Posted

It's great see different things working for different ppl, but I would never impose or suggest to some one what they should and should not try . Every one is different and what works for one won't work for another. What affects one will affect someone else completely different are body's are different while many symptoms may be the same dosnt mean to say the same methods will be successful that's why the medical professionals make these decisions. But this site is good to talk to others experiencing Similar health issues .

• Posted

Hi,

So sorry, how awful.

Perhaps you can pursue this on three fronts

neurological

temporary pain management

orthopedically

I do have a question, if the disc was removed, I would have expected the two involved vertebrae to have been fused. and how does a removed disc rupture?

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi there when I had 3 quarters of l4/L5 removed I expected them to if fused but they did not , not sure if it was because it was an emergency op and not planned. Many different health care professionals I've seen since, also scratch there heads as to why I was not fused ??? Am not convinced that the best think is always done for the patient.

How ever 20 years of in and out of hospital with my back ect . Has convinced me they only do the bare minimum and the cheapest. I am only 40 dread to think how the nxt 5 to 10 yrs will pan out. But back to see neurosurgeon at private hospital today,via my GP so he's hoping there have new more advanced my? 🤔

• Posted

Advanced treatment s, (bloody predictive texting)
    • Posted

I agrree. Sometimes I think the more procedures the worse off we are (when under nhs care that is as I feel after my private ones I always feel better!)
    • Posted

Hi Jessica

How sad...I hope things turn for the better quickly.

Please post after you see the neurosurgeon.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies, I feel happier knowing others who are going through it and will understand. I spoke to the Dr and he said when I go to painting clinic they will go by what I want and say. He said if I want to go down the surgery route then that's OK also. The notes about my mri are ridiculously brief, it only mentions 2 out of 3 herniated discs, and only on my right side as at the time that was the biggest issue. Hopefully when I start pain management I will be able to find out exactly what is going on. I've asked about prolatherapy and it won't be an option, he didn't know about prolozone so I'll ask at pain clinic. I've got a horrid cold at the moment so along with my very low iron levels im feeling very tired, I've no energy for my pilates, but I may force myself later today. It made me feel great on Tuesday when u did pilates and the gym

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.