Is PR rare

Posted , 6 users are following.

My derm and on-line research says PR is “common” and “trivial.  (Trivial?  Good grief.)  Noticed starzstarz said it was rare.   I had never heard of it before 4 weeks ago when contracted.  Derm said it will go away eventually.  My herald patch and spots are starting to fade or be less red and angry, some spreading out a bit and some getting scaley in middle.  Is it common after a little under four weeks from first seeing herald patch to three weeks of massive eruptions to now starting to fade under four weeks?  They are starting to feel less bumpy and my skin is starting to feel more smooth as normal.  Not going away completely, still there for sure, just beginning to fade to lighter.  Is this normal just under four weeks from onset AND is PR common or more on the rare side?  

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello PR friends,

Let me just say I am out of my mind.  This started 2 months ago with a herald patch on my upper shoulder.  I then had another patch on my upper arm.  As time went on I kept getting more break out areas.  I am 2 months in and about a month ago my mom caught it!  She is suffering also.

We both have it all over.  I have actually gotten worse over the last couple of days.

I have read about UV light but I am allergic to UV.  I break out in a rash!

This has been devastating.  I do not sleep and I will have severe bouts of spontaneous itching.  It is uncontrollable.  I do not have cats and have not been near cats.

I do find it interesting that my mom has caught it.  I just want to know when it will lessen.  According to these blogs it could be a while.

Out of my mind.

• Posted

Hi I know how you feel you want to wake up one morning to find that it’s miraculously gone away! Sooner rather than later at the moment I’m using kiehls creme de corps as it has a lot of natural essential oils in it and a little goes along way and I’m also taking antihistamines to help with the itch 

• Posted

POOR BABY!!! Did you have a biopsy done? 

Thanks for the comments about cats, another "vote" for cats not being responsible.

?Really weird that your mom would have gotten it. Any chance it is something else?

• Posted

Thanks for replying.  I did have a biopsy and it came back as virus.  I had the "herald" patch also.  I have wondered if it was something else also.  If you look up rashes they can be similar.  So confusing

• Posted

It came back as virus? My biopsy came back as Pityriasis Rosea... They don't even know if PR is a virus..... That is really weird. Yes, there are at least 5 rashes that look very similar, and the fact that you and your mom both have it is a red flag, the fact that it is on your feet is a red flag. The following rashes look similar: Guttate psoriasis, lichens planus, granuloma annulare, contact dermatitis, tinea. The last two would certainly not be a virus. The first three I am not sure anyone knows what causes them. A virus might be something else completely. They could give you antiivirals for that.

Keep us informed!

• Posted

Hi, my fellow PR warriors.  I grew up with cats in my home, played with cats on my grandparent's farm.  Cared for cats for friend in Army who was deployed.  Been a few years since around a cat now.  Never in childhood had it brought out the PR in me, either.  And, I don't recall being riddled with PR as a child or teen either.  I was adopted at age seven, and don't recall too much before then as I was tousled around a bit from foster home to foster home.  So, if I did contract PR as a child, I don't recall it.  Wonder how often it is that people are getting this for the first time as adults, not as children.  Google says it is more common between ages 10-30.  Not that Google is gospel, but seems to be a common resource when trying to dig up information.  I'm 52, so....definitely out of the typical age range to contract this rash/possible virus.   It also says it is not "typical" to contract it again (or multiple times) once exposed.  But, obviously, we've seen that it still can happen to those who have been exposed as a child.  Time will tell if I end up getting it again. 

Re laurie39876 saying that her biopsy was a virus?  That is interesting.  Sometimes, I think physicians just don't know and so they guess or lob you in to the most reasonable category.  Not based on science, but just what seems most reasonable, to them.  Also agree with person who said that Google had so many photos of rashes that look so similar and....it's confusing.  Totally agree.  To my untrained eye, they really all do look incredibly similar.  But, have to say, that the herald patch and the scaly middle that I have, does seem to be consistent with what Google defines as part of PR. 

Stazstaz asked if anyone had herpes.  I have had cold sores occasionally, since childhood, since adoption at age 7.  My daughter (age 30) also is susceptible to cold sores when she is run down.  She also had mono in high school.  I also had styes (on my eyes) back when first adopted, not sure if those are virus related.  Haven't had a stye in decades.  Probably since childhood.  Was a bit on the malnourished side before adoption.  But, that's not a problem for me now.  LOL.  I also have tested high (constantly) for exposure to EBV (Epstein Barr Virus), which correct me if wrong, but I think is related to EBV?  And, apparently 95% of the population has been exposed to EBV.  Not a big deal, I'm told.   Even though it is currently not active, I don't think, if I understand it correctly, since it shows high levels of anti-bodies for me, it is indicative of my body fighting hard to fight off the virus.  But, been told that is no big deal.  However, Google said that EBV was not related to PR.  I was thinking I was going to find the answer when researching but then my bubble was burst when I read that EBV was not related to PR.  Was wondering if PR was to EBV as what shingles is to chickenpox.  But, accordingly to Google, it isn't. 

Update re my healing process:  I'm in to week five of this.  And, as stated earlier, the night/early morning a few weeks back when I experienced vertigo and vomiting, that is also, coincidentally, when my spots started fading a bit.  As I said, wondered if that is my body's way of starting to get rid of the virus?  We all have such different bio-chemistries.  And, each week I notice that the spots and herald patch are getting less and less prominent.  Those spots that remain are primarily faded brown-ish.  But, they are fading, thankfully.  My arms are fading also.  My neck and arms seem to have more of the scaly middle, even though they are fading.  Maybe it's b/c I can see them easier.  Back, tummy, neck are obviously harder areas to inspect close up.  And that feeling of a hundred gazillion pebbles under my skin is gone.  So, think I am on the road to healing.  I've not done anything other than use Aveeno shower gel and moisturize like I normally would.  And, I didn't shower daily as it would aggravate these spots. 

My heart goes out to those who have had a harder go of this --- dealing with it for months on end.  And, the mouth ulcers.  Oh, dear me.  Can't state enough how much I feel for you having to go through that on TOP of the body rash, also.  May you find relief and healing soon.  All of you. 

• Posted

*Correction:  EBV is related to mono?  I stated earlier that I wonder if EBV is related to EBV.  Oops.  Meant to say, if I'm not mistaken, I thought EBV was related to mono.

• Posted

You are too cool!!!! Wonderfully put and great rundown of background and correlations. I do not have/never had mono, EBV, herpes. Lots of cats all my life. So, we can probably rule those out, from the responses here!!! No consistent correlations. 

Soooo glad you are finally healing!

What a life you have had, so many stories to tell. 

I, also, did not have PR till my late 50's.

• Posted

Hi I read online that PR is related to the herepes,chickenpox virus but also that it’s not caused by the cold sore strain of the virus. I’m in week 3 and thankfully my PR is starting to fade and go away!! I did try  using Zinc oxide but found it to be extremely sticky and messy so I decided to go back to only using Aveeno emollient shower cream followed by Kiehls creme de corps. I have a small patch on my fore arm that I decided to try some 8% AHA gel on as well as my moisturiser. I was so impressed by how much it had faded I’ve decided to try using it on the rest of my patches it’s definitely help to speed up the fading process the patch on my fore arm is almost completely away after only using the 8%AHA on it for 2 days! 

• Posted

I'm leaning towards what you stated, that we most likely can rule out mono, EBV, cold sores/herpes, cats, to not be consistent correlations.  Consistent being the operative word.  (They don't even know why we have hot flashes, other than to say that it's hormonal, but....gee, I could have come up with that broad of a conclusion.)  It's so hard for physicians to know everything.   I've also noticed that on this site, as well as Google, there seems to be a significant amount of PR sufferers that are not in the 10-30-ish age range.  For all that observation is worth. 

Oh!  I also forgot to mention that I was diagnosed two years ago with chronic late stage Lyme Disease.  I wondered if PR could be a reactivation of some co-infection of LD?  But, my Google research shot that possibility down, as well.  Back to square one.  Phooey!  

Oh, and thank you for the acknowledgment, stazstaz.  We all have a story. 

• Posted

I’m the same I don’t fit into the age range that Doctors associate with getting PR i’m in my 40’s. From the sounds of it and by googling PR there’s not exactly much known about the cause of it unfortunately 
    • Posted

WOW!!! That is wonderful news, would love to hear more people try that and see if it helps.
    • Posted

Hmmm, I just saw my comment, and it was supposed to reply to someone about some 8% cream, but showed up to you, Anne, and now I can't find the other comment. My apologies! Thanks for the info, so many of us do not fit in the "normal" range of PR, I think that the data is bad, not us! Exactly, not much is known, which is why these forums, and adding your account are so important.

• Posted

Great info, and all of this helps! I never had mono that needed treatment, nor any herpes strain. I have not been tested for EBV though, and so many people have such a mild case that it doesn't require a doc. Next time I go for a physical, I will request it! That ought to add another pebble to this hill of knowledge.

• Posted

From your description it sounds like it's most likely something other than PR. Pityriasis Rosea is generally not contagious between people and is usually not itchy. It is most often on the torso.  But many other things can cause rashes on the extremities. PR goes away after a few weeks. Sunlight usually helps it clear. Be sure to see a doctor and get blood tests to find the cause of what you have so you can get treatment. It could be an illness that requires antibiotics. Is there anything new in your environment such as a laundry detergent or soap or shampoo or anything that could be causing an itchy rash? Or eating anything new or any new medications?  Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.