Is progression inevitable? Can it stay mild?

Posted , 6 users are following.

23y/o 

I have had HS for about 5 years. Was diagnosed 2 years ago. Doxycycline kept me in complete remission for 12 months, but then switched to Roaccutane because of facial acne, but HS returned. Probably will give antibiotics another go now.

My HS has always been very mild stage 1 compared to most. My dermatologist says there is a fair chance of being able to prevent much progression with persistent monitoring and medical therapy for my life. But when I go online, it seems like most people have it quite bad. The derm says that most people who have it bad are those who had waited years before seeking treatment and let it get bad.

Are there people out there who have been able to manage/contain HS reasonably well? Or does everyone inevitably progress from Stage 1 to Stage 3? There doesn't seem to be much evidence in the literature regarding what proportion of patients progress to severe forms of disease. If this disease does indeed affect 1-4% of the population, surely not EVERYONE gets it that bad?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have had HS for 13 years the first 8ish years it was back and forth in and out of remission. I had a few highly stressful events take place and at the same time became sensitive to antibiotics. My HS started to develop in new places and I had no way of treating it so I am now stage 3. I dont hear from a lot of people who are not stage 3 but I didn't reach out until it was really bad for me.
  • Posted

newzealand,

I have had HS for 16 years, and have (thankfully) remained in stage 1 the entire time.  I take a low dosage antibiotic, watch what I eat (my triggers are excessive dairy, antioxident berries, and some nightshades), and don't wear anything with spandex or polyester.

I have had a few severe outbreaks, but I am able to get them back under control by following the steps in my first paragraph.

I don't know if once you have HS, you have it forever, or if it subsides as one gets older.  I guess only time will tell.  I guess the answer to your question is yes, I am able to manage and contain.

• Posted

Hi. I'm more than sure the disease is chronic meaning it's incurable. I was told by my dermatologist.
  • Posted

Hi. Well I'm 27 now and I've had HS for a few years and when my regular doctor didn't know what was going on in my armpits she sent me to a dermatologist. That's where I got diagnosed. At the time my HS was just painful bumps but then turned into holes and have the scarring. I also have a genetic health condition that plays a role in having HS. I'm at stage 2 right now, not sure if I've already reached stage 3 yet or not but my case may not be as bad as others have it but it's still awful. I have not had any surgery to remove anything yet so I guess that's good even though I've reached plenty of points where I would've loved to. I tried the antibiotics thing but so far any that I've tried since I was first diagnosed they didn't do anything for mine. It was like I wasn't even taking anything. So when I get a hole I just keep it covered with a gauze pad and some sensitive skin pain free tape, it seems to me they heal better when covered. If I'm in pain caused by the bumps I take tylenol. I've looked up the disease many times and I've read each time that this disease does have 3 stages that it goes through. I was also told that it can be helped a little to try and keep it under control by my dermatologist but I haven't had to go see her... Although my HS has been a constant battle even before I was diagnosed, I had had HS for almost a year or so before being diagnosed. I've never seen remission and I'm not sure that I will. I think anyone's case could be mild but I think eventually it will go to stage 3. I've also heard that eliminating nightshades from people's diet can help and even help get to remission or at least find what nightshade(s) are possibly triggering the HS. I'm still working on that part myself it's just hard cuz I love pretty much everything on the nightshades list, they play a huge role in my diet. Well good luck and wish you well.
  • Posted

Kia ora, I have had it for about the same length of time as you and I am still instage one. I currently am in remission and drug free (except for curcumin once I feel a flare starting). I am hopefull that I will stay that way !!!! I have read that not everyone progresses and it is important to deal with it in the early stages.

• Posted

Yes I have been told this as well.

I just started antibiotics, which will hopefully induce remission. And the plan from there on in is to try some time without antibiotics, but start taking them whenever it comes back, to keep this thing under water.

I just hope we can both gain the best possible control of this thanks to our early diagnoses and live normal lives!

To be honest, if I was told I would have to live the rest of my life with Stage I, I'd accept it. I'm just terrified of the potential progression and a life of misery with constant visits to the surgeon..

• Posted

Have you been properly diagnosed by a doctor? Has the doctor been advising you what you should be doing?
    • Posted

Yes I have been diagnosed by a Dr and was told to go look at the "patient" website. She was good for antibiotics but little else.  I was also dx with PCOS and put on Ginet which controlled the flares. However, I was free of both conditions until I reached my mid 40's  and while it happens most people have both these conditions from pubity. I went on a quest to understand why it would happen this late in life and and discovered by chance I was prediabetic/ syndrome X. My PCOS dx has been reversed ( the dx was bollocks) I am off the Ginet, and I have focused on reducing my androgen levels by reducing my insuline levels (diet, sleep, de stress and excercise) - working so far. I was also prescribed Vit. D which probably is useful.
  • Posted

Wish I was still in stage 1, mine started around your age under my breasts of all places. One cyst around the time of my period then it would go away, couple of months would go by then it would return around the same spot. Never a huge one and treated like a boil and it worked with a drawing salve at night. Then I hit 30 and the saying that everything go's down hill when you hit 30, well it quite literally did....I then started getting them in my arm pit, centralized to my right side. Again treated it like a boil, but saw the dermapologist and no help, he literally told me to start a benzoyl peroxide wash, and told me to use unscented deodorant. That did not help! About 5 years of on and off cysts and saw a decent primary care doc and she took one look and said you have HS! Finally I said someone can explain why I am getting these, but she had no real outlook or treatment aside from antibiotics and so I was given Doxycycline and just like you it helped me. Fast forward a mild break out here and there and a move to another state and some stressful situations in between and they started on my thighs and bikini region. Now what's weird is I now never get them under my breasts and my right arm pit stopped (with scarring though). However my left arm pit just recently started and now I'm close to 40. I do not have PCOS but I believe that "ingoldsby" advice is on to something. I am D defficient, I live in the north east part of the US and we don't have long stints of sunlight especially in the winter and fall months and I will say that mine seem to be at their worst then and then take weeks to heal in the spring and summer. I personally would take their advice and really get tested for D deficiency and start a Curcimin supplement. I just started personally taking a probiotic to balance out the bacteria levels in my intestines to see if any bad bacteria might be getting into my glands. The apocrine glands are the affected ones typically, and they are where you sweat the most. I think I will also pay more attention to what I eat and start a cleaner way of eating, less dairy and carbs. I do love my pasta and like you nightshades (gotta have a nice sauce to go along with that pasta) but eat it less frequently. During the week at more veggies and proteins and leave the carbs for the weekend and I'll see how I feel. I hope you stay in stage 1, getting them in the groin is the worst. Mine went undiagnosed or miss diagnosed for so many years. Just now even my new doctor just learned of the disease here but unclear on really how to treat it, which is why I resort to this site. I think we can all help eachother understand and give tips and advice that may or may not work but it's worth a shot, considering the antibiotic alternative. I truly believe that far more than 1-4% of the population is effected and maybe they just mean in the US alone when getting that number, because I have talked to other people from around the world that are experiencing the same. I hope more doctors would get better training and maybe understand that maybe even the healthiest of foods might be effecting us in more ways than one and a large part of this disease seems to be effected by our diets. Could also be the pesticides and added hormones we ingest. I just don't have the money to shop at Whole Foods consistently to buy all the organic (or so called organic) stuff and all natural meats.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.