IS REFLUX/GERD CURABLE?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered GERD /heartburn and the occasional esophagus spasm for almost 4 years now. Pains nausea and heart palpitations among others. I have taken lansoprazole and ranitidine for years too. I watch my meals, sleep inclined besides keeping to such terribly bland diet.

Isn't this ever going to end?

Another issue is sex. Looks like a man with GERD has to avoid sex too. It gets worse the next day.

Anybody feeling me?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

it does get better. first avoid alcohol and caffeine! No carbonated drinks! Never wait till you are starving to eat. Eat small meals abt. 5x a day! Carry a snack with you incase you cant get to food! I took 2 teaspoons of honey (doesnt have to be Manuka)! Try to avoid stress, I know it's hard to do but stress flairs attacks. Everything else you are doing is perfect. It does get better.

• Posted

Very comforting words. Thank you. The honey bit is not clear. When or how please?

• Posted

You will need to have some testing done to determine the cause. First is H Pylori test. Then a nutrient deficiency test. Ask for vitamin and mineral. And A1C just to make sure you are not prediabetic. The acid blocking drugs you are taking cause nutrient deficiencies and additional symptoms. I have more advice but it is best to have this information. John

• Posted

H Pylori was ruled out at the onset. I was prediabetic but have been in remission for a year now due to drugs discipline and exercise. I hope to have them look at the vitamin deficiency issue. I did barium swallow which ruled out hiatal hernia.

• Posted

I had a barium swallow test it showed narrowing at the distal end of the esophagus only! Then I had an endoscopy which showed narrowing and a sliding hiatal hernia. so barium doesnt always show hiatal hernia! If they do endoscopy have it and Be put to sleep! Nothing to it. Also they do biopseys but dont freak they are common. showed inflammation from reflux! I take a vitamin B12 and C daily. probiotics are recommemded!

• Posted

H Pylori was ruled out at the onset. I was prediabetic but have been in remission for a year now due to drugs discipline and exercise. I hope to have them look at the vitamin deficiency issue. I did barium swallow which ruled out hiatal hernia.

• Posted

Okay, GERD is almost always a culmination of many issues. All of these play a role.

1. Weak lower esophageal sphincter.
      2. Stomach damage that causes gastritis and prevents the stomach from producing enzymes and bicarbonate.
      3. An imbalance of bad bacteria in the gut that causes excess gas production that forces it's was through the stomach and pushes acid up the esophagus.
      4. Constipation.

I will private massage the enzymes I use. Then to help heal the stomach I recommend lots of organic probiotic yogurt. 1/4 cup 4 times a day. The last one right before bed. Take 1 tablespoon of low acid olive oil every hour, and 5 drops of REAL natural vitamin E, and a full capsule before bed.

Incline your bed 8 inches using books.

Now comes my carbonated water treatment that cured my GERD.

Using fresh, plain or flavored, low sodium carbonated water. Drink 8 oz of CW. Then hold down the burp for 5 minutes. Don't try to do anything else during the treatments. It may be uncomfortable at first but will get easier. Do this 5 times a day.

Each week add 5 minutes to the sessions and add 1 oz CO per week.

At week 4 you should be at 20 minute sessions and up to 11 oz of CO.

Keep me posted if you have any questions or issues. John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.