Is salad okay?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wondered if anyone has experience of eating salad stuff with DD. Is it really digestible? I have a vision of rocket /lettuce getting stuck in pockets and causing trouble. With summer(?) almost on us, will want to have salads.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you are not going through diverticulitis symptoms and feel normal, salad should not be a problem as long as you are eating high fiber  and plenty of fluids as well. I would say make sure you chew it up thoroughly. However, if you are experiencing symptoms of an attack of any kind, you should stay away from all roughage and remain on a low residual diet until you feel normal. This is from my experience and what the doctors and surgeons have told me with my condition. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm okay at the moment. Funnily enough i had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and have felt great ever since! I think that vile drink cleared everything out, a bit like a colonic irrigation!! Oh the irony! 😂

• Posted

I totally agree with you on that one, Wendy. When I had the clear out I prior to a colonoscopy I also felt so much better but that was back in December 2017 and now everything has back to how it was. Bouts of constipation, diarrhoea and pain. I wish I could have that vile drink every 2 months to keep me clear. I also suffered with my back before the colonoscopy for which I was referred to Physiotherapy for which made no difference whatsoever. After the clear out all my back pain went too but as it has built up again since my back is troubling me again. I think the doctors think I am some sort of nutcase when I tell them I think my bowel problems are causing my back problems too. Why wont they listen?
    • Posted

Sally, I do sympathise, I really do. I also had back ache with my diverticulitis, but at the moment i feel okay. This disease seems to have doctors flummoxed as everyone has different symptoms. I'm not sure i could cope with that drink every two months though, urrrrgh!! 😖 I'm hoping it doesn't build up again, but who knows??

• Posted

Eat your salad! It is full of roughage and water both good for the digestive tract. How do you know your have "pockets" did you have a catscan?  Diverticulitis, at least in me caused tiny little tunnelling holes, they weren't "pockets" and certainly nothing food could get stuck in. Have you seen a doctor and had a catscan or MRI?

Best

Cecil

• Posted

Had a CT scan and also colonoscopy. Extensive diverticula, mainly in the sigmoid colib, confirmed with inflammation in one or two "pockets".

• Posted

I was also diagnosed through colonoscopy. I was told to eat a normal diet and whatever I want! Have only had 2 mild flare ups in 3 years. What I would say is to eat enough fibre so that you do not become constipated.At the first sign of any twinge I take a couple paracetamol and luckily it seems to settle. If you do have a flare up cut out the fibre and eat a very bland diet until it passes. 
  • Posted

I’d love to know the answer! It seems to be a personal experience thing - all bodies processing food differently! For me I think it must be nuts and seeds! I just had a painful attack and remembered  I had eaten Kind bars which are essentially nuts! Also dates which have a kind of waxy outer casing! I’m going to eat carefully and hope for the best! Good luck with salad!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.