Is scoliosis my fault?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I think that my scoliosis is my own fault and it makes me very nervous & unhappy.

It's because from 16 to 19 years I had underweight at 55 kg due to anxiety and psychosis as a male. Then I took medicine and at 20 years my weight was normal. I am 21 now. I also remember sitting incorrectly in front of the pc for many hours and in school. And maybe I had a lack of vitamins and poor nutrition although blood tests did not point to that.

At 19 years of age they discovered a 20° S curve scoliosis. Is this all my fault? Did I cause my own scoliosis? Did I worsen my scoliosis? Maybe I only had 5° and I worsened it up to 20° ? Could all of this have been prevented? Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I've had the same feelings as you for a long time... I'm sure I made my kyphosis worse by sitting for endless time in front of my pc playing games. Also my posture when walking was the wrong one. I knew that I was doing things wrong but I didn't do anything about it. I feel very bad and unhappy with myself sometimes. I don't know if u are responsible for worsening your case but I believe many young people do the same mistakes with the modern way of living. What happened happened, u must focus on treating yourself from now on. Good luck and sorry for my English!

• Posted

That is a good observation but not enough. I want to know exactly if I am guilty, if I worsened or caused my scoliosis. Even if it's just a little bit.

Admins by the way, please remove the multiple discussion threads of me because it's the same thing. I wasn't sure if I sent it right first, that's why I wrote it 3x times. But you had to check it??? Remove the other 2 threads please, it's a copy of this one.

• Posted

I think u should consult a doctor to be sure if u did something wrong. What symptoms are you having btw?
    • Posted

Like no pain at all but it looks bad in the mirror. I asked the doctors they said it is idiopathic scoliosis so there is no known cause. They don't know if I caused or worsened it...

• Posted

But I want to know if I caused or worsened my scoliosis. I want to know if it's my fault because of my activities in the past.

• Posted

Research has shown that posture has no effect on the development of scoliosis (or an increase in curvature severity):

https://www.coreconcepts.com.sg/article/bad-posture-scoliosis/

And, unless your diet caused you to become osteoporotic (which is pretty rare), it had no effect on the development of scoliosis.  If diet was responsible, there would be a much higher incidence of the disease in underdeveloped nations than in developed nations.  That is not the case.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/382678-diet-and-nutrition-for-scoliosis/

• Posted

So you're basically saying that both underweight and posture have no effect on scoliosis? That would be a dream come true to me... smile but I found this site that states what scoliosis patients have in common.

https://draxe.com/scoliosis/

(Look for "Risk factors" bold headline)

Here is the quote:

Risk Factors for Scoliosis: Who Suffers Most?

Over the years, there’s been a lot of theories thrown around, but we know scoliosis patients usually have several things in common: (9)

- Eating a poor diet, having low nutrient intake (especially magnesium deficiency or low vitamin D and vitamin K)

- Hypermobility, such as being “double-jointed” or having a “sunken chest” (Pectus excavatum)

- Poor posture

- Delayed puberty and hormonal problems in teens (a form of low estrogen, hyperestrogenism)

- For women, being post-menopausal or having low estrogen levels (hypoestrogenism), since estrogen plays an important part in building bone density

- Having a low body weight, not eating enough calories to sustain a healthy body mass

- Being a competitive or elite athlete, which can sometimes contribute to low body weight, weak bones and nutrient deficiencies

- Suffering from other conditions that can appear concurrently with scoliosis, including: connective tissue diseases, sciatic nerve pain, mitrial valve prolapse (a problem with the formation of heart valves), bleeding tendencies, down syndrome, osteoporosis, osteopenia

- Having a genetic predisposition that affects bones and spinal health (scoliosis runs in families, and certain mutated genes seem to up the risk for inherited forms of scoliosis)

So according to this, it is what scoliosis patients have in common, but obviously not all at once. Doesn't this kinda say that if you have bad posture and underweight, then you might develop scoliosis??? Thank you for answering! smile

• Posted

Or do underweight and bad posture really have no effect on scoliosis? It does not make the curve worse nor does it cause scoliosis? So I did nothing wrong??? I would have gotten scoliosis 20° S curve anyways, even if I had good posture and normal weight? Was it not preventable?

• Posted

You can CHOOSE to believe whatever you like.  You can go on beating yourself up because you think you did something wrong, or you can get on with your life.  You might want to ask yourself what benefit you get from blaming yourself.

The site you linked to and quoted from is a chiropractic site.  Notice that there is a reference in the quote you listed (9).  Yet, when you click on the reference, there is no discussion, at all, to support anything in the text from the chiropractor.

Your scoliosis curve is small and will probably never need treatment.  Be thankful for that, and try to find something good about which to obsess. :-)

--Linda

• Posted

Hahaha, I did not even see that it was a chiropractic site. Well thank you because I do not think so highly of chiropractors, lol. So can I be relieved from all these guilt feelings? Linda, you really think that I did not cause my scoliosis and I also did NOT worsen it any bit. That is what you want to tell me, right? That I would have gotten a 20° S curve anyway, no matter of what I would have done in the past? So I did not worsen it?

Last question, please answer and I'm done. Thank you all, great community! smile

• Posted

I am awaiting your reply, Linda. I just need to know because scoliosis reminds me of very difficult times in the past. You see, I had anxiety and psychosis in school, that's why I could not eat anything because my mouth was too dry. Soon all this also happen at home. The anxiety moved there, and that's why at some point I got very angry and even refused to eat at all. I thought this could not go on any longer and I was very anxious so I refused to try eating. There were 4 or 5 days when I did not eat anything at all during that entire day.

So this is very difficult for me to forget and the only thing that reminds me of it is my scoliosis. Is this the consequence for my underweight in the past? Did I worsen my scoliosis? Is it my fault? Please, I want to know, thank you. Did my bad posture in front of the pc or in school and my underweight worsen my scoliosis? Or was it not preventable and it's not my fault?

• Posted

My answer is unchanged.  How many times will you need to hear that before you believe it?
  • Posted

I hope more people answer, what do you think? Did I worsen my scoliosis? Is it my fault?
  • Posted

Can someone answer already, please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.