Is sertraline going to improve with time?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello this site is really helpful. I'm sorry if I've asked loads of questions on here but I need to know if sertraline will make me better?

I've had severe anxiety for 3 months. It started when I stupidly came off Prozac after 20 years of taking it and being anxiet free. Within a month I developed stomach cramps, dizziness and irritability. This all happened whilst I was in a stressful job. When I went back on Prozac it made me manic, my stomach got worse and I was suicidal. I couldn't get out of bed and suffered 2 panic attacks and had to have an ambulance out both times.

Beginning of January I was put on sertraline and weaned off Prozac. Ive now been on sertraline for 7 weeks and titrated I to 150mg.

Where I am now - my appetite is back, I'm getting out of bed and have been out to the shop, cinema, yoga, and 3 job interviews and have been offered a job. I'm active in the house with chores. I concentrate better and my mood is about 50% better. I'm not so restless and people say I seem much better. My motivation is improving so I believe I am getting better.

However I still suffer with anxiety. When I do go out I feel the adrenaline rising in my stomach and chest, my muscles are constantly tight and ache and burn. In the morning I feel worse and get a bit light headed. I still constantly have negative thoughts like I have something serious wrong with me and dr has missed it.

I've tried mediation and read up so much about anxiety. I can't talk to family anymore about how I still feel because they think I'm better and I've put them through a lot.

What I need to know is will the sertraline continue to make me better or will this be it and I have to live with this fear ? Anyone give me some positive feedback on how long this medication takes to fully work. I just want my life back as these anxiety symptoms are restricting me and I feel so alone. Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your support Karen

I'm hoping I'll be ok -- getting there and not talking too much are difficult!! When I'm anxious, I can't keep quiet!!! I missed my nail appt so i'll have to sit on my hands.

Good luck in your new job X

• Posted

Good luck take deep breaths and reassure yourself. We are behind you and understand your feelings! Keep us posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.