Is shakiness a side effect of prednisone?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have had PMR for several months.  Started out on 20mg and am now at 12.5.....taking my time.  Dr. wants me to get to 10mg and stay there for a while.  As I started tapering I was having hot flashes too.  They went away as I continue tapering but the shakiness persists.  It's worse in the morning but I checked my fasting blood sugar and it was fine.  Is anyone experiencing shakiness?  Will it go away as I lower my dosage of prednisone?  Does the shakiness have nothing to do with the prednisone?  The nurse practitioner didn't seem to think it was the prednisone.  Help!

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a hand tremor even before I was diagnosed.  It's never really gone away, there are times when I throw things all over the place.  I was just juggling with a carton of cream cheese.  The carpet won.

• Posted

Don't you mean the carpet lost? Mochen...

• Posted

I really wanted that cream cheese!  I lost out.
    • Posted

Surely you had a spare tub? Or it was a message that you didn't NEED it...

• Posted

I think Eileen is referring to me re taking pred. at night ( 9.30PM ). My GP said try it and, halft jokingly, he said perhaps I'd sleep through the shakines. It certainly worked for me. Hope it does for you, too.

• Posted

Thanks Betty - apologies for taking your name in vain...  lol

• Posted

My hands shake terribly and my heart rate raced at times. But this all stopped as I tapered down to a smaller dose. And oddly enough when I've had to go back up the shakes did not return. But hot flashes are horrible. They have never stopped.

• Posted

Well this is such a help...I am always blaming my hot sweats on the meno P (aged63!!). I seem to be in a cyle of them at the moment.

I have felt very concerned about my palpitations too resulting now in changes to my ecg, these have eased off as I am at a lower dose.

I have a fine tremor in my hands too which my gp assures me is not Parkinsons.

Knowing this is all probably part of the picture is reassuring...thanks!

• Posted

Sometimes I get shaky, like the other day my whole arm and hand were shaking when i was handing someone a piece of paper. I credited that to loss of muscle in my arms. When doing some small task that takes over 1/2 hour I am sweating like a pig and shaking all over slightly. Again, I attributed that to muscle loss and sitting around for the past 6 months. So...is this a prednisone side effect, too? I knew about the head sweating, but, don't remember reading about shakiness in the side effects.  Of course, there were so many listed, I'm sure I'm not remembering them all!

• Posted

They are both possible side effects of pred yes, but they are also effects you may experience due to the underlying disease process, the autoimmune disorder that causes the symptoms we call PMR and GCA.  Even though the pred is managing the inflammation and so the symptoms of pain and stiffness, that illness is still in the background unchanged except for what appear to be cycles in its activity. But overall it is there all the time. Until it burns out and goes into remission.

You are lucky it's only tasks over 1/2 an hour! I couldn't open a jar or sweep the floor for 2 or 3 minutes without feeling like that! And that was without pred too.

• Posted

Yes I think you are right,as along with PMR I also suffer with menieres and diverticulitis which affect my day to day living.

At the moment I am feeling wretched and it has taken me ages to make my bed etc,my vision is blurred  ,I have worn specs since I was seven,everyone I meet tells me how well I look,I often reply yes I have a good make-up bag....which I have ,the days are long ,just be glad when I can get outside on my patio,thanks one and all for your patience as I do tend to say it how it is ...

;9 

• Posted

Start telling them its the drugs... Makes them sit up and listen if nothing else!

Yes - I can still remember my first pair of specs at 7 - I didn't know trees had leaves! 

• Posted

PS - hadn't put 2 and 2 together lol

I also have a reputation for telling things as it is - and I'm unlikely to change now. I don't pussy-foot about the unpleasant truth I'm afraid. redface

• Posted

I also have given up coffee and now have de-caff ,that has helped with the shakes worth a try cool 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.