Is Stemetil safe to use regularly and not just when episode happens

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Stemetil for just over 12 months. I know this medication is to be taken when needed but lately I've been taking a tablet for safe guard when I have been feeling a bit of ear fullness. Does anyone else take this med for safe guard. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria 

I take meclizine ( similar to stemetil, I think ) when I feel an imbalance , as I know it may lead to an episode . If I take meclizine at starting I will not get a vertigo but next day I may feel fatigue and drowsiness .

Pl check with your doctor if stemetil can be  taken regularly 

• Posted

My GP told me I couldn’t take Stemetil as a safeguard only when needed. I am in the UK.
  • Posted

As well as being an anti-emetic and sedative Stemetil is a powerful antipsychotic drug so it is not a good idea to take it routinely but to keep it in reserve for when you think an attack is threatening. It has no effect on the underlying problem of Meniere's disease which is increased pressure in the inner ear - for that Betahistine in sufficiently high doses is effective for many sufferers with the bonus of no unpleasant side effects. It can damp down tinnitus and may reverse some of your hearing loss too.

As a precaution I always have Buccastem and Stemetil to hand but it is over 3 years since I needed to use them.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for response everyone. Neddy that's great news if you haven't had to use it for so long. Will heed your advice.  May need to up Betahistine. I'm on 16x3 a day. Trying to stay on this dose though. Don't want to go higher if I can help it. 

• Posted

I went as high as 64mg tds betahistine for more than 6 months which has resulted in a remission period of 20 months and counting. Having weaned off slowly I have not needed any medication since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.