is surgery the right way to go?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, ive been suffer with HS for around ten years now, i dont get flare ups its pretty much a constant battle with pain, i have 'boils' both sides of my groin with lots and lots of ugly dark coloured scars. 3 weeks ago i got a huge cluster of about 8 or 9 boils all otuching eachother my thigh was so swollen i couldnt close my legs had troble sitting down and bending. ive been on numerous different anti biotics for around 3 months now and they are coming out faster than ever, i ended up in a&e 2 weeks ago with this cluster and they wanted to operate but said id need to be asleep as it was so deep i freaked out and refused promising them id go back in 3 days if it was no better. i went back and was referred to a plastic surgeon which im now waiting for the appointment for as they said the cosmetic outcome would be better in the long term if i could stand it til then, i was always adamant id deal with the pain and would not have surgery becasue ive heard repeatedly theat when someone has a part of the body affected by hs cut out that they get them somewhere else in time, im petrified on them coming back on my neck or armpits at least where they are there not visible. any advice on surgery would be very helpful, im rapidly reaching the end of my tether xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh god - you poor thing! All I can say is that I've had surgery on 2 particular deep bastards, 1 on each side of my genital area. I worked and (touch wood) has never returned after 6 years but the other has re-occurred but possibly without the severity.

With the number you've got and the pain you must be in, I'd say definitely go for the surgery. So long as they get to the "root" of the problem please god you'll be fine.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hiya thanks for the reply, im just reluctant because it was my last resort and if it doesnt work i wont know what to do, also i hear that they dont stitch the wound up which kinda terrifies me. even if they do the scarring is an issue, im not pathetic or shallow ive just got married and would hate to get so i dont want him to touch or see me.

il go to my appointment im guessing it will be a consultation first and see what they say. and see if they have a percentage on patients that have them re occur in different areas, although i doubt it they all seem pretty clueless from m y experience xxx

• Posted

I've has several surgeries and what you're referring to where they don't stitch the wound up is where they "pack" the wound.

This can have a better success as the wound heals from the bottom up. It does take a time and isn't very pleasant but so long as they get to the root of the problem and it's packed correctly, they will heal and not return.

Scarring is something that makes us unique and I'm sure your new husband will love them as the rest if you.

Think positive and take care xxx

• Posted

Hey smile

Which surgery do you mean?

I've had many drained and packed abscesses under general anaesthetic(last one 3wks ago), it works for a short time then for me personally its a battle to stop them.

Im currently waiting for a referral with plastic surgeon to basically have bad tissue removed and couldn't be more terrified of it, major scarring and recovery.. Ugh.. But just wait and see what the plastic surgeon says and make a healthy decision after thinking about it thats what I am going to try and do.

Tc x

• Posted

Hiya, as silly as this sounds, i dont know. in a&e all they said was i needed general anaesthetic because it was too deep and tender to use local on it. i just dont want to go through it all and get them somewhere else id rather them stay where they are. they never mentioned draining them to me. thats my plan to go to the consultation and see what they say and go from there. i just hope it doesnt take too long. not sure if youve experienced this but since that particular bad cluster everysingle boil i get now looks like 2 joined together, the fact there still coming on strong even though im on so many anti biotics and painkillers im doped off my head most of the day really concerns me, they clearly arent working any more.

i hope you get oyur appointment through soon and can make a clear decision your happy with xx

• Posted

Hi all...

I am a new user for this website but an old customer for h.s..have done courses of antibiotics..ordered this manuka honey (400) from newzeland very costly though for a guy living in pakistan and unfortunatley nothing works aah yes i have also been taking homeopathic medicines and fellows nothing works.now my dermatologist after trying so many medicines has told me to meet a plastic surgeon.And i went and met a few the best in the country but its a very expensive procedure.what i learnt from them also that it can re occur but in a different area.basically a plastic surgeon does skin drafting. Removes the skin on the h.s and cleans the gland and then puts a different patch of skin.now i m confuse on what should i do advise please.as the procedure is very painful plus takes time to heal 2 to 4 weeks to heal.

• Posted

I had emergency surgery a few months ago and had to be asleep and have it packed, it's not pleasant but the results are worth it, currently also waiting for cosmetic surgery on other affected areas. I was terrified as well but the surgery was short (less than 30 minutes) and recovery about 2 weeks,please consider it, it has made such a difference to me! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.