Is the bony structure under my chin normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have a really nasty case of health anxiety and it's consuming my life. So I have episodes during which I find something to worry about. This time it's about my neck. I'm 25 and have no history of any diseases. Anyway two years ago after getting vaccinated with the gardasil shot I got two enlarged lymph nodes at the two sides of my neck that are still here, are movable and haven't gotten any bigger. But that's not what I'm worried about. Yesterday I was feeling my neck whilst working and I realized that there is a bony structure in my submandibular area. You know, where the double chin is supposed to be, above the adam's apple but not the bone of the throat. I'll attach a photo to show the exact location. It has a pebble like structure, right side is slightly bigger than the left one (meaning it's not exactly symmetrical), and at some point it seems like there is a swollen lymph node on of side at the end of it. At first I thought the bony (maybe more a cartilage) thing is just normal anatomy but today I felt my boyfriend's and there was nothing there!! like I dug really deep but it was a hollow space for him, just skin and then nothing

image.

So now I'm worried sick and I'm to embarassed to ask other people to let me touch them 😃 If anybody else has that it would be a great help to tell me about it.

Thank you so much:)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you ever figured out what this was. I have something similar: a hard, pea-like bump right where my chin and neck meet.

I'm going to the doctor next week to ask about it.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi,

actually no, I never got a chance to realize that. I forgot for some time but now im right back to it.. please let me know how your doctors appointment went I'll appreciate it, and I hope everything's okay.

• Posted

Mine seems to have softened up a bit, probably because I quit pressing on it and pinching it. It seems now like it is probably just a submental lymph node. I remember probably 20+ years ago I had this area swell up due to some sort of infection (it got really swollen and sore then....I think I had to take a round of antibiotics). I'm currently in the mindset that mine is just normal. I have read that some submental lymph nodes can be felt, even if they are "normal". The only reason I even noticed it was because I had a sore throat and I started poking around my entire throat area (which I always do whenever something is wrong...probably health anxiety.)

• Posted

I don't think that mine is a lymph node. It's not a lump either. I really don't know how to describe it. One way to describe it would be sth like the cartilage thingy you have at the back of your legs right where your knees are. It has a defined structure in my head 😃 The only thing that drives me crazy is that others don't have it and I do. And the fact that one part is bigger than the other.

Also, I've had some lymph nodes that never went down for years. I don't worry about them much anymore.

Health anxiety sucks! It's a real struggle that's ruining my life. One day it's this and the other day it's that. Sometimes I think even catching sth fatal and dying from it is not worth all this anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.