Is the boot a requirement around the house?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I have used a surgical shoe for three days post bunionectomy. My doctor gave me a boot today (Day 4). I work from home.

Can I just use the surgical shoe around the house instead of the boot?

Does the boot do more than just protect my foot?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gidday Cheryl

I was told by my surgeon that the surgical shoe thing hed0 (photo attacshould stay on my foot 24/7 until my week 6 appointment...it is a Darco post operative shoe.

I was nt given a boot of any type. but was told to rest as much as posibble and not to weight bear for the 6 weeks  and if I do, it should be minimal and on the heel only.

Hope this helps?

How are you finding the pain levels? 

Cheers

bev

• Posted

sorry..a typo in there!!!

Im not sure what hedO was meant to be!

• Posted

Hi, I find it strange that everyone's surgeons tell them different things and even if you look up foot operations on the Internet, there is loads of varying and different advice for each one!  I am four weeks post-op having had a big toe fusion on one foot and a cheilectomy on the other, at the same time. I was told to rest with my feet raised for two weeks but that I should be full weight bearing after that.  I have the shoes similar to Bev and I also have to wear the Velcro splints until I see my consultant in three and a half weeks' time.
  • Posted

Everyone's surgery is different and doctors have different requirements.  It's best to double check with your own doctor so as not to delay you're healing process.  Having had my surgery on Dec. 29th, I will also go into a boot at week 2.  My doctor said I could sleep without the boot, but have to wear it during the day to keep the foot immobile and protected - and still non-weight  bearing for six weeks.  Every situation is unique, so please check with your doctor.
    • Posted

The problem for me is lack of consistent advice.  I was told one thing by the consultant before my op and another by the SpR when I went to have my bandages removed.  However, I've followed a regime of keeping my feet raised on two pillows at night, walking around the house doing as much as possible during the day but raising feet when resting as well.  Just over four weeks post-op, there is minimal swelling or pain and I don't need to use crutches.  I have not ventured out much but intend to start doing so next week.  I have heard lots of stories of people trying to do too much too soon and setting themselves back.  I certainly don't want to end up having ton have this op again, even though it has not been nearly as bad as I thought considering I had both feet done at once.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.