Is the fun over?

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi girls

I'm 56, almost 5 years into meno and feeling like the 'fun' is over.  My husband is very good & knows things are sore, I seem so fragile down there - tissues easily break.  Doc gave me some estrogen cream but it irritates me. Otherwise it's a gynaecologist referral. Anyone else got this? I've read once the tissues go that's it!

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yellow, don't believe everything you read especially on the net.  Your tissues have thinned, due to lack of estrogen. Did your doctor give you Premarin or Estrace?

Start out slow, putting a little over the course of days and wait for the tissue to toughen a little.

If this has not worked for you, then you can always use Vitamin E, which also helps the skin or you can used successfully coconut oil. I know of women who have successfully enjoyed having intimacy when using coconut oil. Buy organic. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you Sochima, the doc gave me Estriol cream 0.01%.  The instructions say it is to be inserted but I guessed it was ok to put around outside too.  Internally I'm not too bad, it's the outside tissues and clitoral area is so delicate. Any stimulation there causes damage.

• Posted

I've read about a hormone tablet that can be inserted to the vagina for 3 months - has anyone tried this?

• Posted

I haven't tried either of those products, but vagifem is a tablet that is inserted twice a weeek.  Then there is Femering, which is is inserted for 3 months.  

My suggestion is that you get some of the tissue to heal slightly before you ty these products.  But ask your doctor about it.  

• Posted

Morning,

WOW, when I read your post, I could really relate.  I also hit the ground running in menopause.  Never really feeling or seeing how things were changing over time. But about 5 years into menopause, this became the big issue. First came painful sex (What is the world is going on?)  And then the vaginal atrophy and dryness really set in.  First we just used a good lube, but of course, things continued to get worse.  I was given vaginal Estrace.  (That product is bioidentical Estradiol, not estriol.) 

What you need to remember is that lack of hormones to the area really changes everything.  We even lose blood vessels, and the cells themselves change.  On the extreme end, women who do nothing may even experience pain with walking. And of course, the tissue will tear and bleed with sex.

I agree with Sochima. My suggestion is to use a small amount both internally and externally, until the tissues start to heal and new cells are generated.  You may notice the difference on the outside, but what you aren't seeing is how this also looks inside the vaginal vault. It may take a while before this seems to feel acceptable to you, so be patient and give it some time.  If this estriol cream doesn't help, you could ask for some samples of vaginal Estrace (doctors always have samples)  

There are plenty of women who use Vitamin E as well as Cocunut oil. And while I don't mean to diminish their thoughts that these things might help, it's difficult not to remind ourselves that we are not suffering from a LACK OF COCONUT OIL!  Nor have there been any studies that suggest that vitamin E or coconut oil will retore or improve cells and blood vessels.  

Good luck and let us know how you are doing with the cream.   

• Posted

Thank you Gail, I'll try again with the Estriol cream but slowly.  I have found plain old E45 helped and was hoping that it would be good enough but it's not restored any strength to the tissues, as you say, lack of estrogen is the problem. 

I'll research vagifem and femering.

Thank you so much.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 55 years old.

I have a variety of health issues, but currently feel very sore, itchy,

uncomfortable and painful during sex.

I find sex unattractive because of the discomfort, but also a distinct lack of

Fulfilment on my part.

I have been prescribed 'Estriol ' to use twice weekly. No apparent

improvement!

I don't know of any answers, but fully sympathise.

• Posted

Hi. I have had some success with the vagifem pessary for vaginal discomfort from dryness. Nothing as bad as you are suffering though.  It helps to produce moisture. The instructions are to insert one a day for two weeks, then just twice a week.

Also, if you read up on sea buckthorn oil, Omega 7. It is reported to help lubricate mucous membranes. In the nose, eyes and genital. My friend takes it.

Hope you find something to help you.

• Posted

Hi I was prescribed Vagifem pessaries for itching,  I would not have said sex was painful but I felt I was a little more dry. I saw a consultant gynaecologist and she prescribed these every night for two weeks and then twice per week. In the first two weeks I definitely noticed I was more interested in sex again. I was also diagnosed with vulval dermatitus and given some cream to wash with and use to moisturise the external skin, this has made a big difference. Also I think that taking a supplement of essential fatty acids(evening primrose oil & eith flax seed oil or fish oil) helps generally with the skin.

• Posted

Thanks Amy.

I do take Omega 3 Fish Oil, although I haven't had any for a while.

Where did you aquire the Vagifem pressures from?

Thanks

• Posted

Yellow88,

Just replied to the comment below from am??

Whoops!

• Posted

Well, if you enjoy sex, then there is no need for the fun to be over! Reading all these forums, I have found that there are many treatments.

I personally lost interest in sex shortly after my husband. He must have low testerone, as he has been loosing interest since he turned 50. Now is 60 and has no sex drive. This does not bother me though, as I have found that sex is no fun and causes soreness.

We actually have more fun just hugging, laughing, and holding hands.

If the cream irritates, maybe they could prescribe a different one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.