is the itchiness a side effect of BP medicines or is it sign of menopause?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking high blood pressure tablets (losartan 50mg and atenolol 10mg) for almost a month now. I'm 45. and i have been taking cetirizine 10mg tablets for my sinusitis for more than four years. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christina, I am on losartan 50mg & now added 1mg doxazosin (beta blocker), after 2 weeks of adding the doxazosin I was supposed to start doubling it, I did this for about 4 days & went back to 1mg as I was getting terrible itching allover my body, it took about a week to subside & seems ok now on the lower dose. I went through menopause years ago & cannot recall any itchy problems with that. Hope that helps & it stops soon. Take care Sue

• Posted

Think you will find it's the medication,I have been on BP tablets for 18 months and suffer from burning itchy feet,mostly in the evening,Doc says it's one of the side effects.
  • Posted

I had a terrible all over underskin itch when taking a combination of atenolol  and amlodipine and pleaded to be taken off them. After trying several other drugs I was put on losartan. After a some time I noticed a vague itching that went after being tried on several other drugs until going back to losartan. The vauge itching returned and my GP said that it is a side effect of losartan due to an effect it has on the liver.  
  • Posted

i have visited the doctor last week and she told me that it has nothing to do with the BP medicines because i have been taking them for about a month now to start having side effects now! i am really confused... i was given calamine lotion and hydrocortizone cream to rub on the skin. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.