Is the problem of anal fissures subject to the water quality?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I lived in Ely area Cambs for 25 years where I had on and off fissures and IBS..when I moved to Essex for 3 years I didnt have these specific problems at all.  I moved back to ELy this year and yes-you guessed I have anal fissures and also got a granuloma annulare on my upper arm.  I am in process of my GP treating the arm and the fissures but I wondered are they maybe linked and also why did the problem return when I came back to ELy...is it the drinking water? I am not stressed and in fact never been happier and if anything in the country here I am much more active.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Yvonney.

I suffered from a painful fissure. I had a bad diet for a couple of months and was stressed ( lost my mother to cancer) I remember being constipated. I think this caused the original problem. I started to eat porridge as a way of getting more fiber. I used to eat porridge and oats occasionally with no problems. It turns out im allergic to oats!. I saw a private colo rectal surgeon and he identified th fissure and pescribed topical diltiazem for 8 weeks. This didn't work for me. The pain would come and go but I couldn't get on top of it. I looked at the crisps I was eating one day ( sun bites) they contain oat powder. As soon as I cut them from my diet my bum healed! I used to eat a packet every day. If I eat something with lots of oats in it makes my bum really itchy and sore. Maybe something in your diet is different? I guess it could be the water or maybe something that your eating and have an intolerance to. It took me months to find out it was oats.

• Posted

I don't think anyone really knows about the effects of hard water.  but look what it does to pipes..... you can buy water softeners now which can solve it.  google Harvey Water Softeners

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.