is the way I'm feeling normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 17 years of age, for over two years I have been suffering with anxiety attacks. These attacks come and go, I've been in and out of the doctors over 5 times and ive just been put on anti-depressants and beta blockers. I feel like the way I feel ISNT normal- it's hard to explain but I'm going to try- I feel numb, as if my body isn't mine, I feel like I have no control over what I am doing. Due to the numbness I turn to scratching myself or pinching myself to show myself that I am in control. I feel like I'm going to die if im honest and its stopping everything, I can't go out, I am petrified of being in an open space or even being outside, I struggle so much, I can't go out and I hate being in the car, it's literally ruining my life. Is this normal, I'm so desperate for help. 

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It's normal for anxiety,which in itself isn't normal if it becomes distressing or troublesome. Ask about therapy,for your age especially it will be better than medication
    • Posted

I undertake counselling and I have done for just over a year however I'm just really struggling, is there anything else I can do? 
    • Posted

Therapy can take a long time, tell your therapist how your feeling,and where your going with therapy. Councellling though may not be the same as therapy,so ask about that too
    • Posted

Ok, thank you so much- just hearing it's normal within anxiety makes me feel better. X 
    • Posted

Everything is normal with anxiety ,even the most bizarre or unlikely things,it can effect anything and everything
    • Posted

I agree with you again too. I was 17 or so when I had my first attack with no idea what it was for 3 or 4 years. Chelsy should take it positively that he/she knows what it is. And it does look like you're on the right track. Lay off the meds and fight it. I've never taken meds for it. When I feel an attack building, I say "John malcovich" (or however the name is spelt) in my head, it's becomelike a trigger to start my mental fight. smile I win sometimes, I lose sometimes....it's a way of life now and I just accept it....
  • Posted

You are very, very normal. This is anxiety, experienced by most people at some time in their life (the same with depression). Anxiety is very scary, has a lot of scary body symptoms (such as you have described so well) and gives you scary thoughts BUT it is absolutely harmless. It is not dangerous in any way (though it feels like it). Nothing bad will happen to you. You will be OK. Anti-depressants can take a while to get working so hang on in there. Post on this forum to realise that there are many, many people who have exactly the same symptoms as you. It is normal to have anxiety. It is not an illness. If you can feel more relaxed about it, it will go away.
  • Posted

Have you tried hypnotherapy combined with CBT??

a good mindfulness hypnotherapist will encourage meditation and calming techniques. I suffered from what you are saying for years and finally conquered social anxiety and panic attacks. 

It it does take work, research, reading appropriate books and practise but you are worth it. 

I know of a great guy in southampton but I have no idea where you are based,

you are not alone by any means, everyone suffers anxiety to some level but for some reason- due to past learning experiences or bad experiences from before some suffer more than others. 

As as mentioned above,,keep posting and vent how you feel. I expect someone here can answer or relate smile

• Posted

Hello, I experienced roughly the same things as you when I was 15-16. Do you know or have any idea as to why you're so reluctant to go outside? And when you say you're body isn't yours, do you feel like this all the time or only sometimes? I find that when deeply engrossed in something I'm not self conscious, so any feelings I get like that often happen when I am among other people.
  • Posted

You should check this out on your computer" how to stop panic attacks naturally and fast" because it sounds as if your are having Anxiety or panic attacks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.