Is there a blood pressure medication that doesn't dilate blood vessels?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi newbie here!

It's looking like l will have to resort to taking BP meds! My doctor has given me Amlodipine 5mg, one daily. I am scared to take them as l have lots of red veins on my face due to Rosacea!l know that some medications can cause vessels on the face to dilate! I struggle to cope with the Rosacea as it is, and I don't want to make it worse! It may sound shallow but l have Body Dismorphia due to worrying about how l look! My mum took BP meds and had bad Rosacea on her cheeks! Any help woukd be appreciated. Thanks smile

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie OK did you discuss this with your GP if not you need to, there mostly really understanding, or your chemist, they know more than GPs about medication, 5mg is a low dose so possibly your BP's not that high anyway

• Posted

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, there are also beta blockers.

https://patient.info/health/beta-blockers

'Some people develop cool hands and feet when taking beta-blockers. This is because they can narrow (constrict) small blood vessels and reduce the circulation to the skin of the hands and feet.'

But certain types of CCB/BB are for certain conditions, this is really a conversation you need to have with the GP or pharmacist and then the GP.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply l will ask my pharmacist and GP😊

• Posted

Patients with rosacea are more likely than others to have increased cholesterol and high blood pressure according to a report published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=2015%5Bpdat%5D+AND+Hua%2C+Tuan+Chun%5Bauthor%5D&cmd=detailssearch].

Discuss with your doctor the possibility of taking potassium sparing water pills or beta-blockers that are better recommended for rosacea, instead of calcium channel blockers.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your informative reply, l will speak with my GP 😊

• Posted

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker I think? I believe one of the side effects is flushing in the face.  Could you not ask your dr for an alternative medication.

When I was first put on BP meds I specifically asked NOT to have Amlodipine as I did not want to stop eating grapefruit. She gave me Ramipril instead which worked but gave me a nasty cough so I was then put on Losartan with no side effects. I still take the same medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.