Is there a chance I could have endometriosis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have always had irregular periods since when I first started at age 13, however over the years the pain has become unbearable. A few years ago I had an episode where I ended up in hospital because I had crippling pain in my lower abdomen. I couldn't walk or breathe. Once examined in the hospital they believed I had a rock climbing injury as they couldn't identify any abnormalities. I was totally fine the following day and my period started a few days later. If it was a climbing injury it wouldn't disappear overnight. I have also had similar episodes in more recent years where I have been in excruciating pain whilst passing big blood clots. Once the blood clots were passed the pain reduced considerably. I have blood clots on every period now, but rarely have particularly large ones.

I experience a range if symptoms when I'm on my period or around the time of my period: pain in my pelvic bone, severe stomach cramps, heavy periods for the first 3 days, nausea, pain under my left rib, constipation for the first few days and then followed by diarrhoea, struggling to sleep, brain fog, headache/migraine. Over this last year I have also confused some of the symptoms for COVID 19 such as shortness of breath and chest pain. From monitoring my periods over the past 6 months I have found the shortness of breath and chest pain to be closely linked (I don't understand why). I have been in and out of the doctors for years, and I'm always sent away with the only solution being the contraceptive pill. Of which is not an option for me now as I am considering trying for a child in the next year or two.

I don't feel that any of this is a normal menstrual cycle, and the fact my mum had endometriosis makes me half think.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

what you have been dealing with is very valid and understandingly frustrating, i am the same and in middle school got put on birth control as that's what family doctors do- ignore the root issue. it wasn't till i came off of the pill in high school that the pains got worse, as well as endo running in my family (mum) i decided to get an IUD inserted in hopes for a different type of aid, and after talking with my gynecologist he said I 100% have endo. there are different levels to endo and some people can have a lot of it and feel no pain whilst others barely have any at all and excruciating pain, and so on. my advise would be to speak to your GP and advocate for your health and definitely talk to a gynecologist 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.