is there a cure

Posted , 7 users are following.

longer. I had 1 Cardioversion and it did not work so now the Dr. want to do another one as soon as my INR is stable for 3 weeks it keeps going up and down . I also have Congestive Heart Disease .all the meds for Afit seam to make me sick and not feel good my med list for is afib is Warfarin ,Flecainide  200mg also did Dmiodarone 200mg I feel tired all the time

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Flecainide 200mg daily will make you tired,are they considering an ablation?

where are you being treated?

• Posted

in Oregon and my cardio Dr has not. yet said anything about ablation he wants to try another cardioverison this will be the second one. is there any other thing if the ablation does not work. 
    • Posted

I have a pacemaker implanted in 8/2016 for a very low heart rate and also because my heart was 'pausing'.    Its doing it's job and most of the time, I forget I even have one.

Prior to being diagnosed with AFIB  two years ago, I considered myself to be in excellent health.  After two years and many many different meds and a successful ablation, I am off all drugs except blood thinner - Eliquis - and that has been my ultimate goal -- to get off the medications with their rotten side affects.

• Posted

went to 100mg per day 1/2 in Morning and 1/2 at night has anyone had a pacemaker put in for this. next week I have my 2nd cardioverison
  • Posted

There is no 'cure' for afib. THe most u can hope for is for it to go into remission. The best way to attain that is with ablation surgery -- and the sooner u get it the better. I would suggest u talk to your cardio doctor about that. And if u have a cardio doc he should have discussed ablation with u by now. If he hasn't then u should probably find a new doctor. If u r not being treated by a cardiologist, u should be, so he can refer u to an EP to discuss your eligibility for ablation surgery. Good luck. 

• Posted

Not so sure this is correct. Maybe no cure but can be controlled by other than an ablation. What is the success rate of ablation. Try change of diet and keeping the vagus-nerve quiet. There are lots of posts in this forum
    • Posted

That's what I said -- no cure but remission is possible.  I've had two ablations -- first one didn't work -- second on was successful.  After ablation, you can be in remission one week, one month, one year, etc.  Everyone is different.  Success rate for ablation I was given was 70-80%.  Diet change and vegus nerve were not my problems.  What I have learned from reading and reading and reading and trying to educate myself as much as possible o this is that the longer you wait for ablation, the worse the a-fib becomes.  But surely if you can control it with diet, that's certainly a way to go before any surgery.

• Posted

There are many contributors to these forums who believe the vagus nerve can indeed be a trigger to Afib. If you read back there is a a discussion ongoing about the vagus nerve and Afib. The nerve can be triggered by poor digestion caused by the incorrect balance of correct bacteria in the stomach.

As you say, we are told it is incurable but can be managed. Better than having invasive ablations perhaps.

• Posted

I am a female, age 82 in excellent health, slender, no alcohol, no smoking, no caffeine.  Ablation 4 years ago successful for 10 months.  Now I'm tired all the time, afib is back, with flutter.  Have been to 3 different cardiologists and each one suggested something different.  One suggested that the tiredness was not because of the fib.  Another suggested pace maker.  A third suggested Flecainide.  Then, I went to an internist,  Blood work, full body cat scan and head MRI all good.  When you need consensus on fixing a medical problem and there isn't one what do you do next?   

• Posted

I would go one step above the cardio docs and see an EP (electrophysiologist) and see what he suggests. EP’s are the ones that do the ablation surgery and have additional training beyond the cardio docs. 
    • Posted

The cardiologist who suggested pace maker is an electrocardiologist who did an ablation on me that was successful for 10 months.  There is something called a CHADS VAX score rates an fib patient according to previous cardioevents, age, and gender.  I am female over 75.  The fib guidelines for me recommend pace maker.  Thank you for getting back to me.  Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.