Is there a genetic link to MS and nerve disorders?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

First a little background.

I'm female, 44 years old. My Father had MS and was struck at around his late thirties. It rapidly took the use of his legs and he passed away in his early 60's from complications of the disease.

On to my story.

I was diagnosed early with degenerative disc disease 17 years ago, at the age 28 I was considered 75% disabled. I have had no spinal surgeries but am having one scheduled soon.

I have nerve issues due to DDD and a compressed nerve plus a lot of unexplained body-wide nerve pain that has my Dr. leaning towards adding Fibromyalgia to my diagnoses.

Getting to my point,I wonder if while I may or may not get MS, (I have heard it "skips" a generation as well as my being female is putting me in the higher risk bracket) could there be bubbling in my genetic cauldron, a general tendency towards having health issues that involve the nerves?

It's one of the strange questions that pops into my head lying awake at night.

Thanks for any input 😀

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have degenerative spine condition and ms

My mum had too and although she's not been given an ms diagnosis my sister has the degenerative spine and also the sane MRI results as my mum, mum's neuro said my sister probably has it too. My other late sister also had neurological illness but no ms diagnosis, her dr's said she had early Parkinson's but she had same symptoms as me.

So short answer is possibly. However you may not have it as my spinal stenosis gives me ms like symptoms. Ask for a referral, good luck. Please don't be scared of an ms diagnosis it's not a death sentence and there's a cure on the horizon. Kindest lorraine

• Posted

My sister has ms but no other conditions. I have spinal stenosis and recently diagnosed with inflamation of the central nervouse system (cns) which neurologist suspects is ms.

My mum (80) also has same neurological symptoms as my sister and myself for most of her adult life but does not have a ms diagnosis. On top of all this my sister has also had a cerbral stroke age 55. Not sure if any of this helps but to me i suspect the drs know as little as us mere mortals when it comes to neurological conditions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.