Is there a link between Alendronic Acid and problems with the immune system?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Alendronic Acid for nearly 9 years after breaking a hip and was subsequently diagnosed as osteopenic without any apparent side effects. It now appears that I may have developed osteonecrosis (jaw problems) which my dentist attributed to Alendronic Acid taken in the long term.  Within the last 3 months I have also now been diagnosed with ITP (i.e. a very low platelet count).  I wonder if anyone else taking Alendronic Acid in the long term has experienced a similar problem? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hadn't heard about this issue in connection with AA but I suppose it could be possible.  The reason is because the osteoclasts, which are targeted by bisphosphonates and denosumab, are part of the immune system.  I hope you have already discontinued all bisphosphonate treatment as they are not recommended now for any longer than two to three years, not indefinitely, and long term treatment leads to the more serious side effects which, unfortunately, you are experiencing.  I did find a page which mentions Fosamax (alendronic acid) as being one of a number of drugs that may cause drug-induced thrombocytopenia, which I don't think is same as ITP.  Is your doctor sure of the diagnosis?

• Posted

I have only recently found out about the change in opinion about long term use of Alendronic Acid and which you have also confirmed. I have spoken with my doctor and having now come off the short term steroids which I was taking to treat the ITP, (short term because of the osteopenia) I have also come off the Alendronic Acid. Both my GP and hospital consultant have dismissed a link between Alendronic Acid and ITP but I will pursue this with them both when I next speak with them.  Perhaps you could direct me to the page where you found the possible link between Alendronic Acid and drug-induced thrombocytopenia?
  • Posted

I have only recently found out about the change in opinion from when I first started the long term treatment about Alendronic Acid  and which you have also confirmed. I have spoken with my doctor and having now come off the short term steroids which I was taking to treat the ITP, (short term because of the osteopenia) I have also come off the Alendronic Acid. Both my GP and hospital consultant have dismissed a link between Alendronic Acid and ITP but I will pursue this with them both when I next speak with them.  Perhaps you could direct me to the page where you found the possible link between Alendronic Acid and drug-induced thrombocytopenia?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.