Is there a link between food intolerance and blepharitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered from very severe bilateral blepharitis for three years and severe dry eye for four years before that.

I use a hot gel mask morning and night (when I remember), wash and wipe my eyelids with a cotton flannel every morning in the shower and use Hylo Forte eye drops between 4 and 6 times per day.

I have read a number of posts, blogs et al online which suggest that food intolerances may be one of several root causes of bleph.  

Is that true?

Specifically I am thinking of gluten, as I believe I have a gluten intolerance although that is notoriously hard to prove.  Intolerances and allergies run in both sides of my family.  Is it possible to test for any food allergies/intolerances?  I've seen clinics which offer it, but there seem to be many different methods and some cost £20 others cost £600...

How do you know which test to choose?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Gluten.

​There are NHS allergy clinics and also private of course. There is an NHS hospital in Sheffield where two professors one of endocrinology one a neurologist have won awards for thrir work in gluten syndrome, gluten ataxia. They my be in a position to answer your questions.

• Posted

hello bertles 86,

I've known for many years that vinegar gives me eye and throat alergies.

Once my tongue was so swollen that I couldn't swollow food.

Recently I forgot about the vinegar and bought honey mustard dressing. I enjoyed it  but the next day my eyes were like torturing me. They were pinching, scrubbing burning... I attributed this to bleph but then I recalled that bleph feels different. Bleph gives me heavy swollen red eyelids. I fight dryness every day so that they are not pinching but eyelids alone give enough trouble.

• Posted

Could be relativeed to even food bourne allergies. Ive ben tested for gluten intolerence,i dont have it.
  • Posted

There are lots of theories about intolerances and blepharitis,but nothing has been proven.   If you suspect something is causing you a problem try eliminating it from your diet for a month. That is really the only way. Some sufferers are saying its a dairy or lactose intolerance but everyone is different. It could be something very obvious but so common you dont even consider it.  

Allergy testing is often not conclusive where blepharitis is concerned and is expensive if done privately.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.