Is there a reason to go to a doctor?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have diagnosed myself with shingles. I started out with achy parts(eventually realized all of this on my left side) then I thought I was getting the flu or strep throat. Finally I ended up with a rash on my waist, left side and swollen lymph node in my left groin. In general I haven't felt awful, just like I'm trying to really come down with something but never do. Anyway, is there any reason to go to a doctor? I'm doing fine treating myself and dealing with the symptoms so I can't imagine what else can be done other than wait it out.  

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

YES, GO TO A DOCTOR! If you get the anti-virals such as Valtrex, within 72 hours of the symptoms, you can get a MUCH quicker recovery. When did this start, how many days ago? A doctor should be the one to diagnose this and get the proper treatment. If it is shingles, they can start you on a drug such as Lyrica or Neurontin. Sadly, you're most likely going to feel much worse as the days go on, unless you're one of the really lucky ones.

Either call for an appointment now, or go to a walkl-in/urgent care clinic, get the meds and diagnosis, then start reading more forums here. I did not get diagnosed in time and wish desperately I had been, as many will attest to. Good luck, and let us know how it's going.

• Posted

When I posted my reply above, the previous comments hadn't shown up, so yes, I now know you're beyond the normal time frame. But I still strongly suggest you see a doctor. By the time I could get the Neurontin, I was well into it and it takes a while for the proper dosage to help with the pain.

• Posted

You dont say where you work, but for me working in a senior school,  I had to stay off school just in case any members hadbecome pregnant also just in case any student might be pregnant.  so please respect others who could be pregnant.  This is dangerous for pregnant peoplle
    • Posted

Annette,

I am certain that the rash is covered by clothing when you are dealing with people. When the rash is covered, you are not infectious or contagious to those who have yet not had chickenpox. This is in response to Jocelyn's comment.

When the vesicle-blisters have all scabbed over, you are no longer contagious.

You are extremely well read and resourceful. Just letting you know that you are doing fine the way you are...

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.