is there a way to train my ear to hear better

Posted , 3 users are following.

im 60% deaf in my right ear, it really effects me mentally when i struggle to hear out of it, so i was wondering is there anyway in order for me to hear better. background, i have a bad infection i went though 11 operations with it so far 2 of with being radical mastoid im only 15. please any help would be much appreciated and thank you for anyone who helps

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elliot82196, saddly hearing is not a learnt Skill, (like talking wink), there is no way to "Train" yourself to Hear better. Try and see how much of your hearing can be saved, then perhaps look at ways of helping yourself understand other forms of communication a little closer. Like Body Language and Lip Reading. I have total empathy as was in a similar situation, but you can't control your Hearing, just manage with what you got, perhaps when your Infections have calmed down you could look into getting a hearing Aid? Hope you feel better soon, AL

• Posted

So sorry to read of your hearing problem.

Did they actually remove your mastoid ?

I don't think anyone on this Forum will be able to give you any advise

regarding this.  the hospital should sort you out.  Have you been offered

a hearing aid ?

Anne

• Posted

they did remove the mastoid and they didnt say anything about a hearing aid however i found out today im getting a hearing test on February 8th  so i may inquire about a hearing aid after i get my new result. thank you so much 
    • Posted

You are so welcome Elliot,

Just an awful operation losing your mastoid bone.  I do hope you get sorted.

I too am seeing my ENT consultant in February.

Let me know how you get on.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.