Is there actually a cure for manic depression?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been wondering and scouring the internet is there actually a cure for manic depression, as in completely gone? Or is it just a case of managing the symptoms, a little bit like asthma or diabetes? I'm lead to believe that if you start to suffer from a mild form of depression if you address the problem early enough it can be reversed. However if you leave it untreated and allow it to fall into the "manic depressive" state it's a case of managing the symptoms. Can anyone elaborate on this or tell me if this is right or wrong? I definitely suffer from serious depression and the thought of not being able to get rid of it for good is a terrifying thought. I'm sick to death of fighting it and "managing" the symptoms I just want it gone permanently.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have it my doctor told me that I would be on meds for the rest of my life. I believe it has to do with brain chemistry I hope this helps you have you seen a doctor?
  • Posted

I don't like the sound of that. Yeah I've been and I've tried a few medications and all of them had bad side effects, from nausea and dizziness to impotence and hair loss. I wondered if anyone managed to cure I thro ugh natural means like CBT or meditation. I believe the key is trying to live in the present moment, but it's harder said than done

• Posted

I've also tried CBT once but to no avail. I believe the concept is good but again hard to put into practice. All I do is research on how to cure this horrible disease.

• Posted

I’m sorry I don’t know if there is a cure what about a holistic doctor? Have you asked the doctor if in fact if there is a cure? Or another way to control how you feel? What about a therapist that you can talk it out to?
  • Posted

I'm going for some more CBT but not till the end of February. I'm just fed up of feeling like this. It's effecting my relationships, my confidence, everything. I feel awful

• Posted

I sorry it effects my life terribly the mood swings the crying the highs and lows the depression the manic episodes I find it hard to deal with too but I just keep on going I look for the reasons to live and I keep close contact with my doctor what is CBT? Could you explain it to me?
  • Posted

Hi Mark I'm no doctor but I have never heard of a cure for bi-polar depression. But what a deal if they can get the symptoms under control. So I hope that for you that you get your symptoms balanced out and you have a long steady life of peace. Diane 

• Posted

CBT stands for cognitive behaviour therapy. It's basically training your brain to think differently and over time it becomes a habit and your new natural way of thinking. It sounds like that pills seem to be the only way through this. I was just wondering if anybody had any real success stories without pills. Like meditation CBT counselling etc.

• Posted

Hi again Mark. For me Mark it took meds and counseling and it was hard work but I can tell you that I made a decision that "quality of life" was my goal. I was sick and tired of being depressed anxious and miserable so I went to any length to get better. And it worked. Hang in there get any kind of therapy that you can. Diane

• Posted

Yes Mark she is right I did the same thing as she and I think about what I have oh and thank you for the explanation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.