Is there an alternative to Pizotifen

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to pizotifen. I have been taken it for a year now and although I have responded very well, the weigth gain is a problem, I have gained nearly 2 stone.

Stopping the medication is not an option, I have tried it but migraines come staight back.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I know this doesn't help but ive been on pizotifen for about a year and have gained a stone! I've also tried not to take them but the migraines come bk! And at the mo I'm taking them everynight and had 4 migraines in the last 2 weeks, not sure what that's all about cos prior to this I only had 2 mild ones this year!! I'm also interested in alternatives!
  • Posted

Have you tried topamax it actually causes weight loss and is good for maigraine.
  • Posted

I gained weight at first on Pizotifen but have cut down my dose to 0.25mg and I now take it in liquid form, this seems to work for my migraines and also the weight gain is not as significant.
  • Posted

Dear Guest, can you tell me a bit about Topamax, I an considering this drug as an alternative to pizotifen. Has it been effective and are there many side effects?
  • Posted

I have just asked my Dr. if there is an alternative to Pizotifen as after taking it for about 2 years I have put on 2 stones in weight and seem to be getting immune to it. I have been getting depressed about the weight gain in particular.

The Dr. has now prescribed Amitriptyline tablets today on the lowest dose of 10mg. I have not started taking them yet, but watch this space! The only possible problem with these is that it can make you crave sugar - sweets, therefore weight gain again sad But it can also have the opposite effect and suppress appetite. *Fingers crossed that it's the latter.* And of course, has other possible side effects as all medication does.

The tablets are mainly used to treat depression, but are also used for several other problems, such as a migraine preventative. I'm desperate and will try anything.

• Posted

Since stopping pizotifen, I was doing OK apart from withdrawal symptoms, feeling dizzy etc.. Also I've been feeling tired all day and can't sleep at night. Maybe this is also withdrawal? As for the Amitriptyline, it seemed to be working fine - until today. I have a really bad migraine attack, the worst I've had pre pizotifen. I'm so upset and at my wits end. The Amiltriptyne stopped me feeling hungry all the time and I was eating normally again, it stopped the migraines, for 5 days. sad I was so happy, thought I'd found the answer and would finally lose the weight gain from pizotifen and now I feel like jumping off a cliff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.