Is there an alternative to Pizotifen for my 6 year old

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughters been on Pizotifen for about 18 months now. She started on 0.5mg but have been on a dose of 1mg for 12 months, which is taken nightly before bed. Which was keeping her migraines at bay. but before the end of the school year they kicked back in and she was having to taken a half dose of imigran when she had an attack. Her bad ones are bad and wipe her off her feet, but after a bout of sickness and an hours sleep shes back right as raine.

My biggest worry other than all the drugs which i wish there was a drug free way to stop them, is her weight gain and the changes shes making to her activities because of it. She loved her dancing and then because of the consent attacks she decided to do just one day a week, and now because of her weight gain she has realised all the bendy tricks she does are getting harder and harder and she now bigger than all her dance friends and for a 6 year to say these things its heart breaking.

I've not actually weighted her but I now struggle with clothing due to height/ width proportions. I've tried to install healthier eating in our house, but within 10 mins of finishing a meal she is hungry again.

I'm going to get an appointment with her consultant as since starting back for the new school year she complaining of headaches again, there not a full on attack but still enough for her to need ibuprofen.

She says the computerised board and white paper in class are too bright.

No one else in my family has migraines so I'm have no one to ask what there like or what helps. I've had a full eye test done on her to rule that out. I was thinking maybe coloured lensed glasses because of her saying white and her school white board(computerised) are too bright for eyes, but the optician was unsure to if that would help.

I'm hoping someone can help with something I can go back to her doctor with.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

I’m really sorry your daughter is going through this.

I have been on 1.5mg of pizotifen for about 10 years now. It pushes my migraines back to around 1 a year. I tried to come off them but it flared my migraines up again.

A couple of things I have found after my years or researching this condition are;

Cold water swimmers have less migraine attacks! So I make sure I was my face with freezing cold water morning and night and possibly a cold shower when I feel one coming on.

There is a pressure point in your hand that can reduce the pain of a migraine.

I got my eyes tested and needed glasses. They put a special mesh in my lense that is supposed to help stop migraines. So far so good.

I had a wisdom tooth that was impacted removed and I haven’t had a migraine since then 🤞🏽 (Last Feb) wisdom teeth can press on nerves so it might just be worth checking hers depending on her age.

There is also Botox that you can get in your face and hair line that is supposed to help but I’ve never tried this.

There is also an ear piercing you can get which is on a pressure point that can help but I’m guessing she is too young for that too.

I would sit down and have a chat with her, the weight gain is more likely due to stress and depression because of having to deal with these migraines. They can be debilitating. Just let her know that she is not alone, a lot of people have to deal with this and there is a lot she can do to try and help stop it.

Good luck x

• Posted

hi

im sorry to hear that your daughter suffers from migraines i assume she has had the usual tests like MRI SCAN i have also tried eliminating things like chocolate, cheese, anything that triggers migraine but have kept a diary also of when i get a headache to see if there is any triggers not thought of i have also been on lots of preventatives i have not tried pizotifin as i didnt like the side affects i am very cautious about taking any tablets but the only thing that works for me is zolmatriptan tablets when i have an attack and believe me i understand what your daughters is going through when mine are bad im sick and cant go to work and just have to wait for tablet to work but if i didnt have them i dont know what i would do .i hope hiur daughter can find something suitable for her but if not happy go back to your doctor get referred to neurologist if havent seen one also good. luck

• Posted

it must be heart breaking to see your 6 year old go through this i am a chronic migraine sufferer myself and have a 5 year old daughter turning 6 soon but fortunately she hasn't had any.

after trying every treatment under the sun over a decades of migraines what seems to have helped reduced the frequency for me is reflexology, i would definetly give it a go if thats an option for a 6year old . my migranes have dropped from 15 a month to under 5, i tried accupuncture, botox, countless prescription drugs, cephaly device and CBT and nothing worked but to finally have something without resorting to side effects from preventative medicines is the best place i have been in. when i do have a migraine come on, i need to take rizatriptain which helps, but makes me sleepy. i really do wish you all the best in finding something that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.