Is There Any Anti-Anxiety Medication That Really Works

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on prozac and for a while it was bliss.  It wore off after 5 years, and now I was wondering if there was anything out there with little side effects that I could go on.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My experience with Prozac and trazadone is that after a certain time of taking it, your body gets used to the drug so it no longer has the effect it had initially.

Five years is a long time to be on an anti depressant. I'd been on trazadone for nearly three years and was convinced it wasn't working anymore.

I went and saw my GP who agreed with me, and suggested I change to citralapam, I've now been taking citralapam for just over six months, and the difference is amazing.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with your GP and discuss what options are available to you

If you do change antidepressant, you first have to withdraw slowly from the Prozac, which could take quite a while. Then introduce a new one gradually. Your GP may adjust the dose several times, until you find what is best for you personally

• Posted

You are right. Our bodies build up a resistance to medications after a while.  I think the right term is "leveling off"
  • Posted

I was on Paxil, paroxetine for years and it worked for me. I am now on lexapro and it is working for me. I was told by my doc that paxil has a short half life in our bodies.  He mentioned lexapro to be longer lasting. Hope you find something that works!
  • Posted

Lorazepam aka Ativan helps me but I only tAke it as needed when I get bad panic attacks
    • Posted

Ativan isn't an antidepressant. Op is currently on Prozac rather than ativan which is a benzodiazepine. They are totally different types of medication. Benzodiazepines should be for short term use only as they are addictive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.