Is there any certain neurologist to see?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm thinking I should see a neuorologist and I don't know if there is any certain type, or will just any type do?  I can't take this anymore.  Last night was so bad, I don't know if it was just my anxiety but it was awful.  All night I had this falling backwards feeling and the anxiety just heightened to the point when I went to bed I had adrenaline rushes in waves and any sound or movement would startle my system,  I had to finally take a xanax to get to sleep.  Today its all residual, especially the fear it happening again.  I have spent the past few days trying not to let the anxiety get to me and I thought i was doing okay, but apparently I'm not.  Everything about this disorder scares me, I can't even eat anything because i'm afraid it will cause some reaction.  I'm tired of sitting here and feeling this constant moving thru my body and worrying about what this really is.  I guess I just don't understand how MAV can cause all these different sensations and anxiety.  It makes no sense to me, I am so sure its something much worse and they are just missing it.  I don't know how to help myself anymore.  All I do is cry and pray this goes away, but it never does,  I should be thankful for the few days I feel ok but I can barely remember them when these bad days happen.  I wish I could believe it when they say its MAV, but I don't.  

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi patty. You poor soul I feel for you I really do. I don't think there is different neurologist just 1 type and I'm sure a MRI scan should prove nothing serious. Could Defo be worth a try to at least put your mind at rest that it is just MAV.

Hope you manage to see one

• Posted

Thanks Clair

I had a head CT done in april and they found nothing, which is good,  I guess I just keep thinking its something more becasue of the way the dizzness changes, for awhile it was rocking, now it bobbing and falling feelings, feels like i'm on a fair ride when i;m sitting and falling back when I stand or sit.  I am guessing its normal for the sensations of dizziness to change over time.  Does that sound right to you?  I honestly am not sure why it scares me so much, maybe because I'm terrified of having a disease and this really is a disease.  Ive alway had general anxiety about health and death, but this is different a bit, it comes on out of nowhere the panic and all I do is try to figure out why i'm so anxious, when really it sounds like the MAV that is causing it.  Does this make sense?

• Posted

Hi patty. Yes my symptoms vary just like yours. I think the anxiety for me kicks in more because I don't want to be somewhere like at work and feel like I'm going to fall over, I'd much rather be in my comfort zone. Everyone is different in terms of symptoms n anxiety. I found I worry more about it since I heard of family n friends being diagnosed with illnesses and always think do I have this do I have that. Unless like this group someone is going through the same as you,no-one fully understands how you feel and you can feel like ppl are making their own assumptions rather than asking how you are and if there's anything they can do to make you feel more comfortable.

• Posted

The best medical professional to see for what you describe as suffering from is a Neurotologist, as they specialize in inner ear issues.  Since you are as close as you are, and I know that is relative since it is still a good distance, I would still recommend the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.
    • Posted

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply, I am currently seeing a neuor otologist, I guess I just thought everyone is seeing a neurologist so that would be better.  I really can't go to Mayo, i wish icould. 

• Posted

Keep a record of the barometric pressure and see if the days that you feel bad relate to changes in the atmospheric pressure.  I feel best when ours is around 30 mb.  Atmospheric conditions contribute to migraneous activity. 
    • Posted

yes i agree,mthe weather has a definite affect on me. How,do i check it though Terry?
  • Posted

Patty, t's a NEURO OTOLOGIST you need to see. 

• Posted

Thanks Gillian

I'm seeing a neuro otologist, I just thought neurologist was better since everyone seems to being seeing them.  Mine doesn't treat anxiety so I don't know if he uses any other meds besides migraine meds.  Odd cause he really didn't offer any meds until i asked him about them.  He did send me to VRT maybe he hoped that would do the trick.  

• Posted

No A sraight Neurologist deals with things like brain injuries,,tumours,,strokes and all that stuff., you need an otologist as they deal with both the vestibular system  and the connection of all,our ap balance mechanisms and messages to brain. a Neurologist does not have that specific training. They dont offer meds so much i find, more physio amd brain retraining etc.  They can refer you onto someone else for anxiety etc. if you have a definitive diagnosis of MAV then they may bring in meds too.
    • Posted

I have both BPPV and MAV (silent migraines)  It took me 2 years to get a diagnosis for silent migraines as I was confusing both conditions.  I was given meds which helped improve at least 80%. in relation to MAV.  I am due to come off the meds as the consultant says my brain should have repaired/retrained itself now so i will gradually withdraw from the meds over the next 3 months.
    • Posted

Hi Anne

Thank you replying, can I ask what meds your on? I have bppv also just had an attack 2 weeks ago and had an eply done and it helped that. Can you tell me how you differentiated between the bppv and MAV? There are so many stmptoms it's hard to tell. Thanks for any info you can provide

• Posted

I'm on low dose of Nortriptyline 20mgs but I only take 10mgs as not keen on taking too many meds.  BPPV affects me when i lie down in bed, inside my head spins.  MAV was affecting my vision and my balance when walking and I felt spaced out.  I have to avoid chocolate and cheese which causes silent migraines which cause MAV.   I was like the drunken sailor staggering around but the consultant made me aware I had 2 different conditions going on otherwise I wouldn't have known.

• Posted

Hi Anne

Thank you for the info. You said you are on 20mgs nort, do you split the capsule or have 10mg capsules? I have 10mg capsules and have not taken them but I was thinking about opening them up and taking out half and taking the rest to equal 5mgs,

• Posted

Hi Patty, no mine are solid 10 mgs tablets.  I think that 10mg is possibly the lowest dose available, but splitting powder in a capsule might not be easy. 
    • Posted

i been on 75mg of nortyp...for 6 years  works good when ur on it for a while
    • Posted

Hi Richard, did you build up a tolerance level and have to increase it. I still seem to be doing well on 10 mgs after a year but wonder if i will need to increase the dosage in the future if i become tolerant to it. I am concerned about coming off it within 3 months as the consultant is recommending as it is also relieving my shoulder pain effectively.
    • Posted

yes i started at 50mg...then 75  now on 100mg...as i an battleing this again
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that, hope you get better soon.  It does seem to come and go.  I am on it for silent migraines that cause MAV and also have BPPV and was getting the two mixed up until the consultant put me straight.  I am concerned my GP will try to switch me to amitrityline because it's cheaper but has more side effects.  I cannot afford to be drowsy on another drug like that as I am a community nurse and have to drive.

• Posted

I go in fory MRI with contrast of health/ brain and inner ears and nerve connections in less than 12hours . See what they see.
    • Posted

I know that game. They won't say a word. Will have to wait for my next doc app to find out. Hate that crap.

• Posted

Did get the 100 questions thing done this morning tho. That's out of the way. Are you allergic to contest. Any metal implants. Wires, pacemaker. Etc etc. What surgeries have you had. All I have to do is go in get it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.