Is there any known connection between amitriptyline and short-sightedness?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

About a year ago, I started taking amitriptyline for a pain condition. Approximately 3 months after starting the medicine, I started to notice some issues with my vision. I spoke to my GP, who said that it most likely was not related to the amitriptyline and that I have probably always been short sighted but never noticed it before. I also took an eye test with the optician who said that I am short-sighted due to the shape of my eyes (I now wear glasses). However, it seems strange to me that it only started after I was prescribed the amitriptyline medication. That's not to say that I am doubting the doctor, I just wanted to seek further information. I always thought short-sightedness was something that you were born with (as opposed to age-related vision problems). I have no problem seeing things close to me, but things that are far away are blurry. I am 30 years old. Is it common to become short-sighted at 30 years old? Also, is there any known connections/interactions between amitriptyline and short-sightedness? Thank you in advance for any advice given.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It is hard to say if the changed vision is related to amitriptyline.

But TCA meds ie tri cyclic anti depressants of which ami is a member ARE

known to cause blurred vision and other vision problems.

Interestingly, these problems go away after a few weeks of using ami.

That is, for the problems to go away you do not have to cease using ami.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.