Is there any long-term treatment for diarrhoea with Diverticulitis?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Apart from my doctor advising that to take immodium for more than a few days at a time, he could not offer any other treatment to control my persistently regular diarrhoea. I was diagnosed in Jan this year with Diverticulitis in the sigmoid area, after a colonoscopy. I have diarrhoea almost daily, mostly urgently, with wind and blopating but mostly with no pain. I cannot go out until it has all finally gone...if I have to go out in the morning, I take Immodioum. Usually by early afternoon, the coast is clear so to speak, and I can risk it, but nothing is guaranteed so its always a worry if I have to be away from a toilet. Does anyone know if theres a treatment tyhat will help regulate the bowel's habits, as I feel mine has gone completely out of sync, compared to how it was before I developed diverticulitis over the last year. Anyone with the complaint will understand how your life has to revolve around the nearest toilet, lol, so youre always worried about embarrassment, and spoiling any social events for your companions. You have to carry spare underwear just in case, wipes, plastic bags, etc, not to forget spare change for loo pay machines! Its all a bit depressing, but I know I'm only one of many, so dont intend to let it get me down. Any advice greatly appreciated. Oh btw I am an otherwise fit and healthy 71 year-old.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I meant the doc advised me NOT to take Immodium for more than a few days..x
    • Posted

Well my doctor told me I could take it daily as long as I didn't get constipated,so they all give different advice .

• Posted

I am the same as you can't go out early morning sometimes I am on the toilet all day. My dr gave me antispasmodic tablets and told me to eat albran I also take a probiotic drink. A lot of people take fybergel it doesn't suit me I can't take Imodium it constipates me I have had DD for years but but only got diagnosed last September. I was 70 2 weeks ago I feel to young to sit in the house all day afraid to go out I also have arthritis and sitting all day as given me a lot of pain

• Posted

Hi Susan, I know just how you feel..its such a bind isnt it. At least your doctor gave you some help, with anti-spasmodic tablets, and advising about probiotic drinks and fybergel...my doctor didnt offer anything at all! Like, just put up with it..not so easy when like you and I, we are not ready to sit indoors in our slippers all day! I do hope you manage to get out sometimes, I am going to make myself go out, once I feel the diarrhoea has gone for the day...even if it hasnt quite, its important to go out and not feel tied to it.I have even gone back to my child-bearing days LOL in buying some pads to wear when I go out, just in case! At least I feel more confident that way. I too have some arthritis but not bad enough to stop me going out! Keep in touch, let me know how you get on, if you improve or find something diet-wise that helps you. Best wishes!
    • Posted

Thank you Janet I too wear pads for security I will keep you updated. Just managed to go for a pub lunch I was in agony but determined
  • Edited

Hi Janet

This might be a total curveball, but I suggest you research overflow diarrhoea, which is something I heard about only this week.  Amazingly it's cause is constipation, which Susan will tell you can happen after Immodium.  Doctors never seem to have the time to think out of the box.  Constipation, take a laxative, diarrhoea, take immodium, without considering why.  So you can get into a vicious circle.  Or I could be totally wrong!!  Just a thought.

• Posted

Hi felinia,

Many thanks for this, it may well be just what I need, also for Susan it could help her...you are right, doctors seem so busy, and we as patients dont want to hold them up with what we think they will see as "not really important". After all, were not sick, just very inconvenienced..excuse the unintended pun! :-). Bowel incontinence sounds familiar to me, rather than overflow diarrhoea, as I never (or very rarely) get constipated, which surprised the nurses at the hospital gastro department, after my colonoscopy. They gave me leaflets about avoiding constipation, which I dont get, and I told them my problem is diarrhoea, often with real urgency (aarrgghh). The reason for the urgency I have yet to work out, unless I have developed an allergy to something in my usual diet recently. But for the other thing I read, which is sphincter muscle continence, that might be a main thing for me..as Ive always felt that my anal muscle seemed to be larger than it used to be..., at my age thats probably a likely factor, and after 3 children! It was mentioned also on my colonoscopy report that my anal tone was "poor"...lol. I take it thats what was meant..in which case, I could be considered for sphincter muscle tightening surgery. You have given me a lot to research, and think about, for which Im really grateful, I hope it helps Susan as well, if she reads this! I will definitely make an appointment at 

• Posted

Ooops, the post was sent early...to finish, I wanted to say that I would definitely be making an appointment to visit a continence clinic at the hospital, apparently you dont need a referral from a doctor, great if you are feeling embarrassed about the subject. Thanks again,felinia, I'll keep you updated!

• Posted

Sounds like me I start needing the toilet about 6 in the morning and sometimes go 3 times after each other then it seams to clam down but I start again in the afternoon don't know why I just put up with it x

• Posted

Good luck - sounds like you may have a bowel issue separate from DD, but it's so hard to tell one from the other.  Glad to hear you have a continence clinic - when I enquired about Devon, we don't seem to have one, and my cousin who is a nurse practitioner in Hampshire had not heard of one in her area either.

I wee for England and am currently keeping a record of frequency, urgency and output.  I get bladder infections increasingly frequently (down to about every 6 weeks) and am trying to get to the bottom (another totally intended pun) of it.  I suspect I might have issues related to an atrophied vagina (not DD), and I see the doctor next week after a 4 week wait.

• Posted

I live in leeds and we have a incontinence nurse at my GPs
  • Posted

i also am suffering with diarhhoea all the time im so peed off with it,just keep plodding on and hope for the best,my gp gave me immodium but its not solving the problem just masking over it.
    • Posted

It's not good that we have to keep plodding on. I wish there was something else we could do. Imodium stops my diarrhoea but then constipates me so I try not to take it. It seems it doesn't matter what I eat it still comes through me I used to be able to eat most things but not now

• Posted

Not sure if any of you have tried this, or if it applies in your case, but I have cut out coffee/ caffeine and noticed my DD virtually goes away - no pain, no diarrhea or constipation. I haven't been formally diagnosed, but I strongly suspect it is what I have based on symptoms (lower left abdominal ache, diarrhea, etc.). I also cut out alcohol which I think has also helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.